[1.10.2] When and How should I register the rendering?

LaureeGrd

I'm using a method inside my Item class to register the ItemRenderer by calling

ModClass.proxy.registerItemRenderer(this);

This method is empty on CommonProxy obviously but on ClientProxy it calls

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));

Since the method inside my Item class is called just after registering the item, it is from preInit.

Should I do it differently? Should I do it the same way but on init or postInit? Thanks in advance.

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(item.getRegistryName(), "inventory"));

Since the method inside my Item class is called just after registering the item, it is from preInit.

Should I do it differently? Should I do it the same way but on init or postInit? Thanks in advance.

In preInit after registration or before? I dont think it matters.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

In preInit after registration or before? I dont think it matters.

Thanks. I was worried since I saw some codes where they call a static method that registers all the renderers together in Initialization

The difference is between using ModelLoader.setModelResourceLocation(item, meta, location) and Minecraft::register(item, meta, location). The prior will get called in preInit and the later after preInit. The later is also really finicky about what happens before/after so stick with ModelLoader version.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

The difference is between using ModelLoader.setModelResourceLocation(item, meta, location) and Minecraft::register(item, meta, location). The prior will get called in preInit and the later after preInit. The later is also really finicky about what happens before/after so stick with ModelLoader version.

Very useful. Thanks!