(1.5.1-7.7.0.600) Mobs sometime invisible client-side?

Kinniken

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has faced the following problem before or has some idea as to what could cause it. Villagers in my Millénaire mod are sometime invisible client-side (more specifically, the entities do not exist on the client, I've tested for them). On the server-side, they do exist and are properly active (for those who've played Millénaire, you can "see" them building for instance). This happens occasionally, and villagers can sometime be made to re-appear by moving away from the village and coming back to it, presumably because that forces Minecraft to reload the entities. This is in both SSP and SMP.

It looks like this is a recent problem, I had occasional reports of missing villagers but never clearly of "active villagers server side, invisible client-side" issues like I'm getting now.

Weirdly, while I can reproduce the bug when playing the regular game, it never seems to happen when running it from MCP. But maybe that's because I'm still using MC 1.4.6 in my dev environment?

Thanks

K.

edit: updated versions in the topic title

• 1 month later...

I'd like to bump this. I'm still getting it in MC 1.5.1 with the latest version of Forge, same symptoms. As far as I can tell new villagers spawn properly client-side, but if the player moves away from the village and comes back, sometime they go missing (always client-side only). Saving and reloading the world (SP) or disconnecting and reconnecting (MP) solves the problem, until the next occurrence at least.

Any idea welcome, it's now clearly Millénaire's most annoying bug.

Nope, never been able to reproduce. And nothing should cause the mobs to go invisible as long as the client knows where they are.

Walkihg away like you said makes me honestly think that you've got your tracking radius for your entity to higher then the view distance of the client, which would cause issues as when the client unloads a chunk on there end it drops the entities. And if the server still thinks that chunk is loaded then it would cause issues.

Thats just a guess because i have never seen this issue. I am going to have to leave it up to you as someone who writes the mod with mobs and who can sit down and try debugging it in a non-live environment.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I'll check that radius thing.

To be clearer, they are not really "invisible", they are absent client-side. If I use getEntitiesWithinAABB() on the client and the server at the same time around the player I'll find them all server-side but will miss some client-side.

Anyway, I'll see if I can narrow it down.

I'm having no luck at all with this. And it seems I was wrong to think it was linked to the chunks loading/unloading - one player has reported (with screenshots from a video he was recording) a villager disappearing client-side in front of him, maybe twenty blocks away.

Very annoying. AM I really the only one with this issue?

So if I understand correctly upgrading to the latest Forge release should fix it? Awesome news. I'll let my users know and see if it fixes it for them.

Edit: is this server-side or client-side in MP? Or do both need to be upgraded?

I assume both need to be upgraded.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.