Minecraft directory change.

aftokinito

I'd like to separate the modded game from the vanilla one so I researched and I found that Technic pack guys managed to do it changing some things in the Minecraft.java file.

I installed MCP and Forge as stated in the Readme file and then i went to the file and did the changes they say here: https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/modfixes/How%20the%20Fuck.txt

I recompiled and took the Minecraft.class from the bin folder of MCP to the /net/minecraft/client folder of minecraft.jar

Result: black Screen

To remove a possible typo I recompiled (in a new isntalation of MCP) without editing anything and the result was the same.

Can someone help me, please? If that fix could be added to Forge it would be great.

I mean so the game isn't hardcoded to %appdata%/.minecraft but to read where the minecraft.jar is so I can install the game to, for example, %appdata%/.modedmc

Black screen means that a stack trace was printed out, look at the stickied post to see how to get it if you need help.  It is pretty difficult to help without that information.

Regardless, you are going about it wrong.  Use something like MultiMC instead.

I'll put what you asked in a moment.

The problem is that it looks for mods in .minecraft/mods and it also saves in .minecraft all the files including saves.

Personally, I make batch files to make my computer think that wherever the batch file is located is the AppDate folder. I think this is similar to what MultiMC does. If you're interested in learning how, see the spoiler below. ('course, this is all assuming you use Windows...)

It's actually very simple, and all you need to do is make sure the Minecraft.exe is located within the same directory as the batch file itself. Every time you want to play this separate version, you just open the batch file.

This will create a new .minecraft folder wherever your batch file is pointing to. Which, in this little step-by-step, is in whatever directory the batch file is located.

• Create a new .txt file and call it whatever you please.
  • Open it up and type out: (or copy and paste)

SET APPDATA=%CD%
Start "Minecraft" Minecraft.exe

• Save it using "Save As...". When the box comes up prompting you to name it, change the .txt to .bat.
  • Open the newly-created batch file and enjoy.

----------------------------------------

Extra info:

If you'd like even more separate versions, you can make a new batch file with an altered first line. Here's an example:

SET APPDATA=%CD%/Separate Minecraft

This example will create a new .minecraft folder in a folder called "Separate Minecraft".

A word of caution:

There are many great things a simple batch file can do. I doubt you could really damage your system by accident, so you shouldn't worry about experimenting a little with the above batch file. Just be cautious that there are certain other places on the internet that would tell others to make unsuspecting victims make batch files do terrible things. So, I'd suggest reading up on their functions if you plan on doing much with batch files beyond what this little tutorial covers.

EDIT: Sorry for all the edits. It seems the BBCode doesn't want to cooperate. :(

Check out my

Texture Packs Thread here on the Forge Forum. :)

Currently in the process of adding some mod support for JohnSmith Texture Pack.

width=105 height=12https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_21351[/img]

width=209 height=19https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_772852[/img]

Personally, I make batch files to make my computer think that wherever the batch file is located is the AppDate folder. I think this is similar to what MultiMC does. If you're interested in learning how, see the spoiler below. ('course, this is all assuming you use Windows...)

It's actually very simple, and all you need to do is make sure the Minecraft.exe is located within the same directory as the batch file itself. Every time you want to play this separate version, you just open the batch file.

This will create a new .minecraft folder wherever your batch file is pointing to. Which, in this little step-by-step, is in whatever directory the batch file is located.

• Create a new .txt file and call it whatever you please.
  • Open it up and type out: (or copy and paste)

SET APPDATA=%CD%

• Save it using "Save As...". When the box comes up prompting you to name it, change the .txt to .bat.

Extra info:

If you'd like even more separate versions, you can make a new batch file with an altered first line. Here's an example:

SET APPDATA=%CD%/Separate Minecraft

This example will create a new .minecraft folder in a folder called "Separate Minecraft".

A word of caution:

There are many great things a simple batch file can do. I doubt you could really damage your system by accident, so you shouldn't worry about experimenting a little with the above batch file. Just be cautious that there are certain other places on the internet that would tell others to make unsuspecting victims make batch files do terrible things. So, I'd suggest reading up on their functions if you plan on doing much with batch files beyond what this little tutorial covers.

EDIT: Sorry for all the edits. It seems the BBCode doesn't want to cooperate. :(

Thanks for the answer but I'd still prefer to do it the other way.

I don't think my friends would like a .bat file.

Well, the option is there. :P

Oh, and I forgot to mention this is a good way to carry Minecraft around with you, as you can use this method to install Minecraft to a flash drive and not have to install it on any computers you might want to play it on. :) (assuming that computer has java)

Check out my

I'll put what you asked in a moment.

The problem is that it looks for mods in .minecraft/mods and it also saves in .minecraft all the files including saves.

Forge just pulls from the standard Minecraft functions for that.  MultiMC (Or the bat file described above) both fix that.

Hmm?  Is something wrong?  I can fix it if you can elaborate?

When I was attempting to create a numbered list, it all works out until you try to include a CODE within said list. Everything leading up to it is numbered, but everything beyond is converted to bulleted list. If I explicitly change the converted list to a number one, it restarts the count. And if I try to remove the second list it creates, and just try to end the code as part of the number 3, it recreates the second list and turns it into bullets again.

It's not a huge deal, and I think it just comes from me trying to be too fancy with it.  ;D

Here's a recreation:

[*]Create a new .txt file and call it whatever you please.

[*]Open it up and type out: (or copy and paste)

SET APPDATA=%CD%

Check out my

Ah, yeah, lists do not support complex elements, think there is a mod to add that support though.

Do what the other way?

I think he means to do it the way the Technic people do it instead of MultiMC or Batch files. :P

Check out my