[1.12.2] Blockstate JSON values based on multiple variables.

Acaeris

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding the Blockstate JSON format and how to configure certain things I'm currently working on:

1) A fairly simple question: I seem to be missing something in how to create vines/ladders using Forge's blockstate format. Do I need to resort to vanilla Minecraft's format or is there a model I can't find documentation for to do this type of block?

2) Slightly more complex but still something I've failed to find questions or documentation for: How do you define a texture based on the combination of variables? e.g.

{
  "forge_marker": 1,
  "defaults": {
    "model": "cube_all",
    "transform": "forge:default-block"
  },
  "variants": {
    "style": {
      "blue": {
        "textures": {
          "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/blue..." // Needs to know if this is active.
        }
      },
      "green": {
          "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/green..." // Needs to know if this is active.
        }
      }
    },
    "active": {
      "true": {
          "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/...active" // Needs to know what style
        }
      },
      "false": {
          "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/...inactive" // Needs to know what style
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

I've done ones where a model was defined by one variable and the texture another (or in one case where one set of sides were one variable and the other set another) but not one that has all sides dependant on the combination of variables.

Decided to try and tackle this using the vanilla variants method while waiting but hitting issues with that method as well.

src/main/resources/assets/rebuild/blockstates/crystal.json

{
  },
    "style=green,active=true": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/green/active"
      }
    },
    "style=green,active=false": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/green/inactive"
      }
    },
    "style=red,active=true": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/red/active"
      }
    },
    "style=red,active=false": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/red/inactive"
      }
    }
  }
}

Error output:

[17:36:22] [main/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant rebuild:crystal#style=red,active=false for blockstate "rebuild:crystal[style=red,active=false]" and for item "rebuild:crystal", blockstate location exception: 
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model rebuild:crystal#style=red,active=false with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:305) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadVariantItemModels(ModelBakery.java:175) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:160) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:121) [SimpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.init(Minecraft.java:559) [Minecraft.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:421) [Minecraft.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:118) [Main.class:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_162]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_162]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_162]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_162]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_162]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_162]
	at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
	at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:25) [start/:?]
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException
	at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition.getVariant(ModelBlockDefinition.java:83) ~[ModelBlockDefinition.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VariantLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:1169) ~[ModelLoader$VariantLoader.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
	... 20 more

So yeah, still not sure how to solve these questions.

Those are vanilla style variant listings, which means they need to be alphabetical.

active=false,style=red

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I tried that but still get the same errors messages, just with things switched around:

src/main/resources/assets/rebuild/blockstates/crystal.json

{
  },
    "active=false,style=green": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/green/inactive"
      }
    },
    "active=false,style=red": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/red/inactive"
      }
    },
    "active=true,style=green": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/green/active"
      }
    },
    "active=true,style=red": {
        "all": "rebuild:blocks/crystal/red/active"
      }
    }
  }
}

Error output:

[17:36:22] [main/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant rebuild:crystal#active=false,style=red for blockstate "rebuild:crystal[active=false,style=red]" and for item "rebuild:crystal", blockstate location exception: 
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model rebuild:crystal#active=false,style=red with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:153) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItemModels(ModelLoader.java:305) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBakery.loadVariantItemModels(ModelBakery.java:175) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:160) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:121) [SimpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.init(Minecraft.java:559) [Minecraft.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:421) [Minecraft.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:118) [Main.class:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
	at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:25) [start/:?]
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException
	at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition.getVariant(ModelBlockDefinition.java:83) ~[ModelBlockDefinition.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VariantLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:1169) ~[ModelLoader$VariantLoader.class:?]
	at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:149) ~[ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
	... 20 more

I think I've managed to get the vine model doing what I want though using vanilla blockstate JSON, so it's just the question of how to get a texture set based on the combination of values :/

5 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

That's not how you specify normal variants (i.e. not key-value combinations) in the forge blockstate format.

I know. I'm trying vanilla ones while I'm still awaiting for some advice on my original question about how to use the forge blockstate format to assign a texture based on a combination of variant values. The vanilla variant format is working for the blockstates of another block I have but not this one and I can't work out a way of doing what I want using forge blockstate format.

I have read the documentation you linked. The specific page you linked does not mention using the vanilla format however, the page that does is somewhat vague about the format. I cannot see anything in it that makes it clear what I am doing wrong. The same goes for the Mojang documentation on how variants are written. This is also the only case where my using the vanilla format has thrown errors. The majority of my blocks use Forge format but vines and ladders were much easier to copy from vanilla and amend the texture. So I'm definitely missing something in this particular case but that is why I have posted here, even though I know these should be very simple questions.

I know you guys get fed up of this shit all time. I do too when I think a question being asked should be obvious from the documentation on my own projects. All I'm asking is:

Are combination states for picking a texture possible in the Forge format?

Forget the vanilla errors, that just me trying to solve a problem while I haven't had an answer to that question and seemingly that has distracted the thread which I'm sorry for.

OK, I get it now. It's not that obvious that that would apply to vanilla variants, especially with it not mentioning vanilla format on that page and none of the pages that do referencing it but thank you very much for putting up with me.