Custom IBakedModel brightness?

Nictogen

I have an item that has a different "model" based on its NBT. I had been rendering it manually, but for performance reasons I'd rather have a baked model that I can eventually cache than do a TESR every tick. The only problem is that when the item is rendered in the hand or really anywhere except in a gui, it is much darker than I would like. I don't claim to understand much of baked models, so I can't figure out why this would be the case. Using the item vertex format and applying normals to the vectors seems to change the brightness, but it is inconsistent and changes when I look around.

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Attached is how the item looks in the hand (ignoring the wrong offset, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it). It should be rendering white, but it is a fairly dark grey due to the brightness. In a gui, it correctly renders white.

I believe all of the relevant code is in this gist:

https://gist.github.com/nictogen/984d165ea2fefbfdbd3ca7c0f2666ebf

If not, the full codebase is available on github.

https://github.com/nictogen/Star-Tech/tree/master/src/main/java/com/nic/st

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 12.24.35 PM.png