Help for beginner

DoktorDoraro

Hello,

I have wanted to make minecraft mods ever since I started playing moded minecraft and its only recently I have obtained enough knowledge of java that I started trying. (Wish I started five years ago but not much I can do about that now) As of right now Forge exists for 1.12 as a stable build, 1.13 forge works but is still being worked on and minecraft 1.14 is in alpha pre release, meaning it is on its way at some point. I am wondering what I should do. Should I learn 1.13 forge and get my mod to work with that version or should I code 1.12 since that version is stable and there is a large number of tutorials available? As of right now my knowledge is about 3 days of reading. I can register custom blocks and items in 1.12 and I have the basics of tile entities working. The next thing I have to learn is GUIs and then item stacks and item manipulation. The mod I am working on is called Mechanical Dimensions and it is going to be a tech mod like buildcraft and thermal expansion with the ore doubling and dusts, etc. but I also want to implement a Dimensions exploration mod (Hence the name Mechanical Dimensions) kind of like the old mod that used books to warp to new dimensions. I would love everyone opinion how I should proceed!

I reckon go for 1.13.2 because so much Forge stuff changed so updating from 1.12.2 would be a pain. Other than that,  tutorials for 1.12.2 (and below) should work fine non-super-basic stuff (like your main mod class or Proxies, this stuff changed massively in 1.13.2).

For 1.13.2 tutorials please see 

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

On 4/16/2019 at 8:48 PM, Cadiboo said:

I reckon go for 1.13.2 because so much Forge stuff changed so updating from 1.12.2 would be a pain. Other than that,  tutorials for 1.12.2 (and below) should work fine non-super-basic stuff (like your main mod class or Proxies, this stuff changed massively in 1.13.2).

For 1.13.2 tutorials please see 

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. Also, thank you for the links as well!