[1.12.2] Void with structures

I-is-Zed

Newbie to modding here, and I'm looking to make a very particular mod. I want to have the option when creating a new world to generate a void world, except in that void world, I still want structures and villages to spawn floating in the air. Now, I have absolutely no idea how to do this, so what I need is pointers to what documentation I need to read and what things I need to learn in order to make this real.

Any pointers in the right direction or tips are appreciated. 

In my knowledge this is probably going to be difficult to replace normal vanilla minecraft without complete rewrites, so what I suggest you do is look at tutorials for custom WorldTypes/Dimensions, they can be used it to spawn a void world, setup custom chunkgenerators and custom spawning, etc, as most vanilla structures unfortunately do checks for solid ground, you'll probably need to look at intercepting generation events, through subscribe events and creating brand new structure files that duplicate the originals without the checks, this is usually the opposite problem for custom structures in mods, where they randomly spawn in the air and you need to generate some extra code to anchor them :)

Also if you think of the End Dimension, its technically a void world with islands that spawn, so take a look at how that is generated too as a vanilla example, its usually what I do tbh, I think of a feature I want, then think, does vanilla generate or do something similar to what I want, then I go poke around the code and see if I can replicate/learn from said example, then I go look at tutorials/etc if I can't find an answer myself.

Edited by Zathrox