[1.14.4] LivingExperienceDropEvent not called for PlayerEntity?

FireController1847

Hello! I have a mod that currently forces a player to drop their experience even if the keepInventory gameRule is enabled. To do so, I used the LivingExperienceDropEvent and detected whether or not the event.getEntity was an instanceof a PlayerEvent. This worked fine up until I updated from 1.14.3 to 1.14.4. For some reason, it does not appear to be called at all for the PlayerEntity when they die, however it is called for other mobs. Any ideas?

@SubscribeEvent
public static void onLivingExperienceDrop(LivingExperienceDropEvent event) {
    if (!LevelHeartsConfig.XP.loseOnDeath.get() || !(event.getEntity() instanceof PlayerEntity)) return;

PlayerEntity player = (PlayerEntity) event.getEntity();
    int i = player.experienceLevel * 7;
    event.setDroppedExperience(i > 100 ? 100 : i);
}

I am currently using Minecraft Forge 28.0.45, as I just updated to fix various other issues with the mod.

Edited by FireController1847
Specify Minecraft Forge Version

I am on my journey of making a remake of matmos, as explained here.

1 hour ago, FireController1847 said:

For some reason, it does not appear to be called at all for the PlayerEntity when they die, however it is called for other mobs. Any ideas?

Is it called with KeepInventory off? I assume it is only called when the experience points actually drop.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Unfortunately, no, it is not called when KeepInventory is off. And it makes sense this didn't fix it, as when you look at the code that calls this event (found in LivingEntity#onDeathUpdate), it loops and does NOT check any gamerules. Actually, what happens is it calls getExperiencePoints from the entity, which is overridden for PlayerEntity to be 0 when KeepInventory is enabled (found in PlayerEntity#getExperiencePoints). I can't see any reason why it is not being called for the player. I know it's begin called for other mobs as it does log to console that it's been called when I add a sysout. I'm curious if this is a Forge bug, should I report it?

Edited by FireController1847

I am on my journey of making a remake of matmos, as explained here.