[1.14.4] just getting a texture to load

thorsigal

I'm trying to render a simple texture on a block. I know Java, I know what files are and I know how to use a computer. However, I am horribly unfamiliar with how textures are processed in minecraft, and it seems every single place, even those from just 7 or 8 months ago, is outdated.

pastebin of all the code i have made. there is nothing outside of this.

https://pastebin.com/aeJhqX5g

I am well aware that I have no models being called. I don't know how to do it. Tutorials and old questions from these forums said to use `ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation()`, but that does not exist, it seems.

gyazo of my current resources directory setup

https://gyazo.com/57f5184856f9a557e2040856a554ae7b

(Yes, this is built off of the default example mod because I'm still new to the forge process).

How do you load a texture?

27 minutes ago, thorsigal said:

(Yes, this is built off of the default example mod because I'm still new to the forge process).

This is fine it's exactly what it is meant for. However you seem to have been following a bad tutorial. You shouldn't register any registry object (Item, Block, Enchantment, etc) outside of its registry event. Aka dont statically initialize them.

The problem is you dont have and model json or blockstate json.

Those links aren't tutorials might not help much, but you can look at the vanilla ones under assets.minecraft.blockstates and assets.minecraft.models

And they need to be in your folder called assets.[modid].whatever path here

And textures are under assets.[modid].textures.[item/block]

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Actually I have those, if you look at the gyazo screencap

and I changed the block and blockitem to still be static, but now they are initialized in their respective registryevents, but the textures are still not there

edit: lo and behold my error did indeed lie within those files however. I copied the versions from vanilla instead of the dumb tutorial I got it off of and it worked like a charm.

examplemod:block/texture instead of just examplemod:texture.

also one of them said "normal" : { when it should have been empty quotes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by thorsigal