Extended Tileentity?

Busti

Hello,

this might be a Java question but I am new to java so please don't write "Learn Java"

I extended a TileEntity and it is working fine except for variables, when I define a Variable in the Constructor the value won't be shown in the SubClass. When i try to print the Value of the Variable I am getting NaN("Not a Number")

My code:

TileEntity:

import net.minecraft.tileentity.TileEntity;

public class TileEntity extends TileEntity {

public int var = 1;
}

SubTileentity:

public class SubTileEntity extends TileEntity {

public void updateEntity() {

System.out.println(this.var);

}
}

PM's regarding modding questions should belong in the Modder Support sub-forum and won't be answered.

Hello,

this might be a Java question but I am new to java so please don't write "Learn Java"

I extended a TileEntity and it is working fine except for variables, when I define a Variable in the Constructor the value won't be shown in the SubClass. When i try to print the Value of the Variable I am getting NaN("Not a Number")

My code:

TileEntity:

public int var = 1;
}

SubTileentity:

public void updateEntity() {

System.out.println(this.var);

}
}

public int var = 1;
}

Why do you name your main TileEntity class the same as the vanilla one? It doesn't look good and causes confusion. But whatever, the problem is this:

Your import looks wrong. You need to import YOURPACKAGE.YOURSUBPACKAGE.TileEntity not net.minecraft.tileentity.TileEntity.

Again, if you would have named your class different, you would have seen this.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

like SanAndreasP said, you do not want to name the class the same thing as the class you are extending.

Try

public class TileEntityA extends TileEntity {

public int var = 1;
}

then

public class SubTileEntity extends TileEntityA {

Think of it as a hierarchy, TileEntity -> TileEntityA -> SubTileEntity  you cannot grab a variable that is declared in TileEntityA from the base Tile Entity, but you can grab it from SubTileEntity because it extends TileEntityA.  Hope that makes sense, I'm still learning java myself.