Can you apply a large range of colors to a block?

Jipthechip

For example, if I had a block that I wanted to vary in hue based on its properties, and that hue could be any combination of the 3 color channels. Blockstates obviously wouldn't be feasible because that would be 255*255*255 conditions you'd need to define models for. I've heard of IBlockColor, but you have to register each color, correct? If so, that wouldn't be feasible either. Is there any other way to do this, with some weird rendering voodoo perhaps? Also, is there a way to do this with items too?

EDIT: Did some more searching around and found out about TESR's, and it looks like they can do what I want for blocks. As far as items are concerned, I looked at the code for leather armor and found out that they store the color in NBT's.

Edited by Jipthechip

5 hours ago, Jipthechip said:

Blockstates obviously wouldn't be feasible because that would be 255*255*255 conditions you'd need to define models for.

I don't believe this is true anymore. With the new vanilla BlockState system. However do not do this.

I've heard of IBlockColor, but you have to register each color, correct?

This is also wrong, I don't know where you heard that. You register a Block to an IBlockColor instance and that instance determines the color for that block, for each BlockState in the World. Use a TIleEntity to store the state of the color.

Did some more searching around and found out about TESR's, and it looks like they can do what I want for blocks.

Don't use a TESR for this. A TESR is for something that has moving parts.

Also, is there a way to do this with items too?

It seems you have already found LeatherArmor, but you can use ItemColors and IItemColor just like you would for BlockColors and IBlockColor.

Edited by Animefan8888

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

1 hour ago, Animefan8888 said:

I don't believe this is true anymore. With the new vanilla BlockState system. However do not do this.

This is also wrong, I don't know where you heard that. You register a Block to an IBlockColor instance and that instance determines the color for that block, for each BlockState in the World. Use a TIleEntity to store the state of the color.

Don't use a TESR for this. A TESR is for something that has moving parts.

It seems you have already found LeatherArmor, but you can use ItemColors and IItemColor just like you would for BlockColors and IBlockColor.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing up the confusion. IBlockColor and IItemColor are definitely versatile enough for what I want to do.