[1.15.2] Custom Entity World Spawn Registry

CooperParlee

So, I've been working with creating a custom entity and that's going fairly well. Unfortunately, I cannot find the necessary methods to spawn entities procedurally during world generation. All of the methods that Minecraft uses to register entities in vanilla are protected methods, so I can't use those. I also have struggled to find reputable source code to take a look at on GitHub for registering entities to world spawning for 1.15.2, as it seems to be very different from previous versions. Is it possible that someone could refer me to a repo that does it elegantly or just to the necessary methods I should use?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Ilyemu said:

Take a look at the method getSpawns in the Biome class. You can use that to add your entity into the spawnlist for each biomes.

Yes, like lIyemu said, you can use the getSpawns method for every biome. You can iterate through them all by using java stream.

You can then to .add and add your entity. Allow me to show you an example:

package <idk, whatever package name you want>;

import <wherever you keep static references to your entities>;
import net.minecraft.entity.EntityClassification;
import net.minecraft.world.biome.Biome.SpawnListEntry;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.ForgeRegistries;

public class ModEntitySpawn {

public static void spawnMobs() {

ForgeRegistries.BIOMES.getValues().stream()
          		//This is just some randsom filtering but do whatever you want her, or dont filter at all 
          		//if you want your entity to appear anywhere.
				.filter(biome -> biome.getRegistryName().toString().equals("minecraft:mushroom_fields")
						|| biome.getRegistryName().toString().equals("minecraft:mushroom_fields_field_shore"))

//this is the main dish
				.forEach(biome -> {
					biome.getSpawns(EntityClassification.<depends on what you want>)
                      		//min and max refer to number of entities in a group.
							.add(new SpawnListEntry(<static reference to your entity>, <weight>, <min>, <max>));
				});

}

}

Then you have to register it in your event subscriber:

@SubscribeEvent
public static void onLoadSpawns (FMLCommonSetupEvent event) {
	ModEntitySpawn.spawnMobs();
}

I hope this is helpful! good luck!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chubel10 said:

//This is just some randsom filtering but do whatever you want her, or dont filter at all 
          		//if you want your entity to appear anywhere.
				.filter(biome -> biome.getRegistryName().toString().equals("minecraft:mushroom_fields")
						|| biome.getRegistryName().toString().equals("minecraft:mushroom_fields_field_shore"))

Instead of doing checks via their registry name, maybe you can try using their registered biome instance, should avoid the problem of mismatch string in the future.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been hopping around the forums lately and can't really get a concrete answer on how to make your custom entity spawn in a particular biome. The code I have registers the entity placement using EntitySpawnPlacementRegistry.register() and adds a new SpawnListEntry to all biomes, for testing purposes, and is then put in a FMLCommonSetupEvent event. However, when I launch the game, I see no entities spawn even though I have it to where it should spawn in all biomes. Below is the code that I have. Also please excuse any bad formatting :) All help is appreciated!

Note: The SpawnListEntry I used uses the same values that a Minecraft Sheep does besides the entity of course.

EventSpawnRocky.java

public class EventSpawnRocky 
{
    @SubscribeEvent
    public static void spawnRocky(FMLCommonSetupEvent event)
    {
        DeferredWorkQueue.runLater(new Runnable() {

@Override
            public void run() {
                .forEach(
                        biome -> 
                        {
                            List<Biome.SpawnListEntry> creatures = biome.getSpawns(EntityClassification.CREATURE);
                            creatures.add(new SpawnListEntry(ModEntities.rocky, 12, 4, 4));
                        });
            }}
                );
    }
}

MainModClass - Things we care about in setup_common, which is a FMLCommonSetupEvent

DeferredWorkQueue.runLater(new Runnable()
		{
			@Override
			public void run() 
			{
				EntitySpawnPlacementRegistry.register(ModEntities.rocky,
						EntitySpawnPlacementRegistry.PlacementType.ON_GROUND,
						Heightmap.Type.MOTION_BLOCKING_NO_LEAVES,
						EntityRocky::spawnConditions);
			}
		}); 

and

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(EventSpawnRocky.class);

spawnConditions from EntityRocky.java - I have it returning true for now.

public static boolean spawnConditions(EntityType<EntityRocky> rocky, IWorld world, SpawnReason reason, BlockPos blockPos, Random rand) 
	{
		return true;
	}

• Guest locked this topic