[1.16.2] Triggering event if a specific food item is eaten

naelsun

31 minutes ago, naelsun said:

I have very little knowledge on modding so sorry if this is obvious and I just don't know how, but I want an event to be triggered  when a specific item is eaten, is it possible? If so how? Thank you in advance!

Is it your own custom food item? If so, you can override the different methods in the item class (such as onItemUseFinish) to implement your functionality. Otherwise, you can subscribe to one of the subclasses of LivingEntityUseItemEvent, and check if the item being used is the specific one you want.

1 minute ago, vemerion said:

Is it your own custom food item? If so, you can override the different methods in the item class (such as onItemUseFinish) to implement your functionality. Otherwise, you can subscribe to one of the subclasses of LivingEntityUseItemEvent, and check if the item being used is the specific one you want.

Yes it is my custom food item, i am using LivingEntityUseItem event, but the only way i found to check is checking the item held by the player, i'll post what i wrote

@SubscribeEvent
public static void onFoodEaten(LivingEntityUseItemEvent.Finish event) {
    LivingEntity player = event.getEntityLiving();
    if (player.getHeldItemMainhand().getItem() == RegistryHandler.GOLDEN_CHORUS_FRUIT.get()) {
        World world = player.getEntityWorld();
    }
}

This works, but onlt if the player is holding more than one of the food presented, is there another way to check if the player is eating a specific item?

26 minutes ago, naelsun said:

Yes it is my custom food item, i am using LivingEntityUseItem event, but the only way i found to check is checking the item held by the player, i'll post what i wrote

@SubscribeEvent
    LivingEntity player = event.getEntityLiving();
    if (player.getHeldItemMainhand().getItem() == RegistryHandler.GOLDEN_CHORUS_FRUIT.get()) {
        World world = player.getEntityWorld();
    }
}

This works, but onlt if the player is holding more than one of the food presented, is there another way to check if the player is eating a specific item?

You can get the ItemStack used directly from the event with the getItem() method. However, since it is your own custom item, you can alternatively override the onItemUseFinish method in the item class and avoid using an event altogether.

12 minutes ago, vemerion said:

You can get the ItemStack used directly from the event with the getItem() method. However, since it is your own custom item, you can alternatively override the onItemUseFinish method in the item class and avoid using an event altogether.

Thank you for the help, but i'm not really understanding what you mean, i'll understand if you don't want to but could you explain please?

25 minutes ago, naelsun said:

i'm not really understanding what you mean

Which parts are you not understanding? The explanation is very basic Java, and if you don't understand that, you are going to have a Very Bad Time trying to mod. Not trying to be mean, just stating facts.

There isn't really a much easier way to explain what vemerion said without going to Java School (this isn't Java School, this is Forge School ;) )

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, naelsun said:

could you explain please

No problem! If you decide to go with the event solution, you can get the item like so: (which should work regardless of stack size)

@SubscribeEvent
  if (event.getItem().getItem() == RegistryHandler.GOLDEN_CHORUS_FRUIT.get()) {
    // Do what you want here
  }
}

if you go with the override route, you would do something like this:

public class MyItem extends Item {
	public MyItem(Properties properties) {
		super(properties);
	}

@Override
	public ItemStack onItemUseFinish(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, LivingEntity entityLiving) {
		// Do what you want here

return entityLiving.onFoodEaten(worldIn, stack);
	}
}

1 minute ago, Ugdhar said:

Which parts are you not understanding? The explanation is very basic Java, and if you don't understand that, you are going to have a Very Bad Time trying to mod. Not trying to be mean, just stating facts.

There isn't really a much easier way to explain what vemerion said without going to Java School (this isn't Java School, this is Forge School ;) )

I'll try to figure it out then, thank you for your help!

4 minutes ago, vemerion said:

No problem! If you decide to go with the event solution, you can get the item like so: (which should work regardless of stack size)

@SubscribeEvent
  if (event.getItem().getItem() == RegistryHandler.GOLDEN_CHORUS_FRUIT.get()) {
    // Do what you want here
  }
}

if you go with the override route, you would do something like this:

public class MyItem extends Item {
	public MyItem(Properties properties) {
		super(properties);
	}

@Override
	public ItemStack onItemUseFinish(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, LivingEntity entityLiving) {
		// Do what you want here

return entityLiving.onFoodEaten(worldIn, stack);
	}
}

Oh I get it now, thank you so much for everything!

Edited by naelsun