Block/Item ID's

darokrithia

There is a limit to Block ID's, and so a limit to the largest mod, and the largest amount of mods downloadable.

To solve this problem, I think forge should first compact the Block/Item ID's.  Forge would have an array/list of the blocks/items and so if there have been 30 blocks/items registered in vanilla minecraft, and my mod has one block/item, it's ID would be 30+whatever I name it (31 if I properly named it 1).  This would (I think be) simple and defiantly helpful especially for people who want to more than one mod!

Also forge might be able to increase the amount of Block/Item ID's usable.

There is a limit to Block ID's, and so a limit to the largest mod, and the largest amount of mods downloadable.

To solve this problem, I think forge should first compact the Block/Item ID's.  Forge would have an array/list of the blocks/items and so if there have been 30 blocks/items registered in vanilla minecraft, and my mod has one block/item, it's ID would be 30+whatever I name it (31 if I properly named it 1).  This would (I think be) simple and defiantly helpful especially for people who want to more than one mod!

Also forge might be able to increase the amount of Block/Item ID's usable.

1. To actually implement such a system, you need to alter the save format, making it incompatible with vanilla saves and vanilla can't open modded worlds.

2. 4096 Block IDs (minus vanilla ones) are not enough? Use metadata (16 possible metadata values, ranging from 0-15). So you have (4096 - vanilla blocks) * 16

3. Item IDs are ranged from 0 - 32767 (if shifted - plus 256), so there are PLENTY of item IDs available. Like for blocks, you can use damage values (also ranging from 0-32767), so you have (32768 - vanilla items) * 32768

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

1. To actually implement such a system, you need to alter the save format, making it incompatible with vanilla saves and vanilla can't open modded worlds.

2. 4096 Block IDs (minus vanilla ones) are not enough? Use metadata (16 possible metadata values, ranging from 0-15). So you have (4096 - vanilla blocks) * 16

3. Item IDs are ranged from 0 - 32767 (if shifted - plus 256), so there are PLENTY of item IDs available. Like for blocks, you can use damage values (also ranging from 0-32767), so you have (32768 - vanilla items) * 32768

1. Why couldn't you just have an array where forge renames the ID's, I don't see how that interferes with saves...

2/3. For one mod there are plenty, but if mods overlap it makes stuff act weird and not work.

Thanks!