[1.15.2] Questions about TileEntityRenderer [Solved]

Thorius

Hello,

actually i would like to know two things about TER.

My first issue is that unless i use a VoxelShape that is not a full block, the models that i render are dark. I tried many things to solve the problem, but none of them worked. In any case, it would be better if didn't have to change the VoxelShape of the block.

My other issue is that i don't know how to attach a texture to a face drawn with the vertex builder. I can't find any good examples.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Thorius

7 hours ago, Thorius said:

My first issue is that unless i use a VoxelShape that is not a full block, the models that i render are dark. I tried many things to solve the problem, but none of them worked. In any case, it would be better if didn't have to change the VoxelShape of the block.

This is not always the case, you can use chests as an example there.

7 hours ago, Thorius said:

My other issue is that i don't know how to attach a texture to a face drawn with the vertex builder. I can't find any good examples.

The texture is bound when creating the vertex buffer through the RenderType. To specify where on the texture, you use UV coordinates.

The chest example isn't a good one, because they aren't full cubes.

It seems when they are full cubes the light passed into render method is 0, which will cause the faces to be dark.

You have to get light for neighboring position using WorldRenderer.getCombinedLight for each side that you add to buffer (this seems to be what normal blocks do).

10 hours ago, lupicus said:

The chest example isn't a good one, because they aren't full cubes.

Well yes, that's what they were looking for, hence the example to look into chests. A chest is an example of a model rendered inside of some VoxelShape that is not a full cube. The idea is to look for the solution and not somewhere in-between. While yes, the TER might be clouded in shadow will inside a VoxelShape, this does not necessarily have to be the case. While the chest might show how a smaller VoxelShape could still result in the same lightmap as any other block, the mob spawner can show how to interleave a model within the VoxelShape. Using any combination of these blocks' methods can produce the result required.

To me a better example might be a shulker box, it is a full cube, but I must admit I'm just guessing what he is doing without seeing his code and assuming it was similar to what I had done. Shulker box works because it uses notSolid() block property, but this will let light go thru it.

Edited by lupicus

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response, but i still have issues. I managed to render the face, however, what I get is a collection of all the textures. Changing the texture location (for the material) does nothing and although i could display my texture with some magic numbers, it would be a terrible and unstable solution.

So my question is, how do i get the texture dependent UV coordinates or in case the texture is bound the wrong way, how do i do it correctly?

My code:

@SuppressWarnings("deprecation")
public class CrucibleRenderer extends TileEntityRenderer<CrucibleTileEntity>{
  //vanilla texture for testing purposes
	public static final Material MOLTEN_METAL_TEXTURE = new Material(AtlasTexture.LOCATION_BLOCKS_TEXTURE, 
                                                                     new ResourceLocation("block/stone"));
	public CrucibleRenderer(TileEntityRendererDispatcher rendererDispatcherIn) {
		super(rendererDispatcherIn);
	}

@Override
	public void render(CrucibleTileEntity tileEntityIn, float partialTicks, MatrixStack matrixStackIn, IRenderTypeBuffer bufferIn, 
                       int combinedLightIn, int combinedOverlayIn) {
		//The issue is here
		int fluid = tileEntityIn.getFluid();
		if(fluid > 0) {
			float f = 0.375f + fluid * 0.015f;
			Matrix4f matrix4f = matrixStackIn.getLast().getMatrix();
			IVertexBuilder vertexBuilder = MOLTEN_METAL_TEXTURE.getBuffer(bufferIn, RenderType::getEntitySolid);
			this.renderFace(tileEntityIn, f, combinedOverlayIn, combinedLightIn, matrix4f, vertexBuilder);
		}
	    //Some other rendering stuff (hopefully) unrelated to the issue
		ItemStack item = tileEntityIn.getItem();
		if(!item.isEmpty()) {
			matrixStackIn.push();
			matrixStackIn.scale(0.5f,  0.5f, 0.5f);
			double height = 1.5D;
			if(item.getItem() instanceof BlockItem)
				height = 1.0D;
			height += fluid * 0.025D;
			matrixStackIn.translate(1.0D, height, 1.0D);
			//Animation
			matrixStackIn.rotate(Vector3f.YP.rotationDegrees(90.f));
			//Rendering 
			renderItem(item, matrixStackIn, bufferIn, combinedLightIn, combinedOverlayIn);
			matrixStackIn.pop();
		}	
	}
	private void renderFace(CrucibleTileEntity tileEntityIn, float height, int combinedOverlayIn, int combinedLightIn, Matrix4f matrix,
                            IVertexBuilder iVertexBuilder) {
		this.renderFace(matrix, iVertexBuilder, 0.25F, 0.75F, height, 0.25F, 0.75F, 1.f, 1.f, 1.f, combinedOverlayIn, combinedLightIn);
	}
	private void renderFace(Matrix4f matrix, IVertexBuilder vertexBuilder, float minX, float maxX, float height, float minZ, float maxZ,
                            float red, float green, float blue, int combinedOverlayIn, int combinedLightIn) {
      	//Right now i use some testing values fo the UV coordinates
		vertexBuilder.pos(matrix, minX, height, maxZ).color(red, green, blue, 1.0F).tex(0.5f, 0.40f)
          				.overlay(combinedOverlayIn).lightmap(combinedLightIn).normal(0.f, 1.f, 0.f).endVertex();
		vertexBuilder.pos(matrix, maxX, height, maxZ).color(red, green, blue, 1.0F).tex(0.5f, 0.5f)
          				.overlay(combinedOverlayIn).lightmap(combinedLightIn).normal(0.f, 1.f, 0.f).endVertex();
		vertexBuilder.pos(matrix, maxX, height, minZ).color(red, green, blue, 1.0F).tex(0.40f, 0.5f)
		vertexBuilder.pos(matrix, minX, height, minZ).color(red, green, blue, 1.0F).tex(0.40f, 0.40f)
	}
  	private void renderItem(ItemStack stack, MatrixStack matrixStackIn, IRenderTypeBuffer bufferIn, int combinedLightIn, 
                            int combinedOverlayIn) {
		Minecraft.getInstance().getItemRenderer().renderItem(stack, TransformType.FIXED, combinedLightIn, combinedOverlayIn, 
                                                             matrixStackIn, bufferIn);
	}
}

• Thorius changed the title to [1.15.2] Questions about TileEntityRenderer [Solved]

I managed to find a solution. Instead of the above method i do this:

private static final ResourceLocation MOLTEN_METAL_TEXTURE = new ResourceLocation("textures/block/lava_still.png");
	private static final RenderType RENDER_TYPE = RenderType.getEntitySolid(MOLTEN_METAL_TEXTURE);

• Thanks 1