[Solved] [1.16.5] Semi-Transparent Particle Rendering

Mariobro85

Hello everyone,

I just started modding with Forge and am currently working on custom particles. The particles themselves work perfectly, however, transparent particles make other particles behind them invisible.

I know this issue is also present in Vanilla Minecraft and I was hoping that it could be eliminated with Forge since it makes particles with a lot of semi-transparent pixels  ugly (as you can see in the attachment).

This is the code I use for all my particles:

public void renderParticle(IVertexBuilder buffer, ActiveRenderInfo renderInfo, float partialTicks) {
    RenderSystem.disableDepthTest();
    RenderSystem.depthMask(false);
    RenderSystem.defaultAlphaFunc();

Vector3d vector3d = renderInfo.getProjectedView();

float f = (float)(MathHelper.lerp((double)partialTicks, this.prevPosX, this.posX) - vector3d.getX());
    float g = (float)(MathHelper.lerp((double)partialTicks, this.prevPosY, this.posY) - vector3d.getY());
    float h = (float)(MathHelper.lerp((double)partialTicks, this.prevPosZ, this.posZ) - vector3d.getZ());

Quaternion quaternion;

if(this.particleAngle == 0.0F){
      quaternion = renderInfo.getRotation();
    }
    else{
      quaternion = new Quaternion(renderInfo.getRotation());
      float f3 = MathHelper.lerp(partialTicks, this.prevParticleAngle, this.particleAngle);
      quaternion.multiply(Vector3f.ZP.rotation(f3));
    }

Vector3f vector3f1 = new Vector3f(-1.0F, -1.0F, 0.0F);
    vector3f1.transform(quaternion);
    Vector3f[] avector3f = new Vector3f[]{new Vector3f(-1.0F, -1.0F, 0.0F), new Vector3f(-1.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F), new Vector3f(1.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F), new Vector3f(1.0F, -1.0F, 0.0F)};
    float f4 = this.getScale(partialTicks);

for(int i = 0; i < 4; ++i) {
      Vector3f vector3f = avector3f[i];
      vector3f.transform(quaternion);
      vector3f.mul(f4);
      vector3f.add(f, g, h);
    }

float f7 = this.getMinU();
    float f8 = this.getMaxU();
    float f5 = this.getMinV();
    float f6 = this.getMaxV();
    int j = this.getBrightnessForRender(partialTicks);

buffer.pos((double)avector3f[0].getX(), (double)avector3f[0].getY(), (double)avector3f[0].getZ()).tex(f8, f6).color(this.particleRed, this.particleGreen, this.particleBlue, this.particleAlpha).lightmap(j).endVertex();
    buffer.pos((double)avector3f[1].getX(), (double)avector3f[1].getY(), (double)avector3f[1].getZ()).tex(f8, f5).color(this.particleRed, this.particleGreen, this.particleBlue, this.particleAlpha).lightmap(j).endVertex();
    buffer.pos((double)avector3f[2].getX(), (double)avector3f[2].getY(), (double)avector3f[2].getZ()).tex(f7, f5).color(this.particleRed, this.particleGreen, this.particleBlue, this.particleAlpha).lightmap(j).endVertex();
    buffer.pos((double)avector3f[3].getX(), (double)avector3f[3].getY(), (double)avector3f[3].getZ()).tex(f7, f6).color(this.particleRed, this.particleGreen, this.particleBlue, this.particleAlpha).lightmap(j).endVertex();

RenderSystem.enableDepthTest();
    RenderSystem.depthMask(true);
  }

I tried the disableDepthTest() and depthMask(false) methods because they appearantly worked for an older version of Minecraft, but they have no effect in 1.16.5. The defaultAlphaFunc() method makes the texture look a bit smoother, but that's about it.

I also played around with other methods of RenderSystem, but I just kept making it worse that it already is.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

2021-03-19 23_46_47-Minecraft_ 1.16.5 - Singleplayer.png

Edited by Mariobro85

9 minutes ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

You would need to set the IParticleRenderType to PARTICLE_SHEET_TRANSLUCENT via Particle#getRenderType iirc. Don't manipulate the render system in any way.

@Override
public IParticleRenderType getRenderType() {
  return IParticleRenderType.PARTICLE_SHEET_TRANSLUCENT;
}

It already is.

• Mariobro85 changed the title to [Solved] [1.16.5] Semi-Transparent Particle Rendering