ANSI Support for Forge Server running from CMD Console

LunarCama

Hey there, I was just wondering if ANSI is still supported for newer versions of the forge server. I had an RLCraft 1.12.2 Server that supported color within the command prompt window right off the bat with no extra commands, but when I try to run a forge 1.16.5 server, it simply does not output color into the console. I have tried manually enabling ANSI for CMD in my Registry but even that doesn't work. Have you stopped supporting color or is there a way to enable it? Thank you.

In the first image, you'll see my 1.16.5 server running without color. The command I used to start it was 

:start
java -Xmx8192M -Xms1024M -jar forge-1.16.5-36.1.0.jar nogui
timeout /t 10 /nobreak
goto start

1783300204_nocolor.thumb.png.b6c002ec7dc6a81212c5902268fe390e.png

The second image is a 1.12.2 RLCraft Server. The command used to start that one was 

@echo off
java -Xmx6G -Xms4G -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.5.2838-universal.jar nogui
PAUSE

color.thumb.png.ad3cf38f8c0aeb1edb082a782f75c083.png

There are no special parameters that are added to the batch file to start that would enable color. I am lost.

Yes its still supported, it may or may not detect if your console supports it automatically due to weird changes in MC/the console.

https://github.com/Minecrell/TerminalConsoleAppender

You may be able to enable it yourself with the flags listed there.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I have zero clue on how to use that program. Is there a more simplified method? Also, did RLCraft do something special with the forge server to make it automatically produce color within command prompt or am I missing something?

Edited by LunarCama
explained more and asked question

Its a library forge uses...

That looks for environment variables, as stated in the readme...

Just set the environment variables..

No idea what RLCraft is or what it does. But it probably sets those environment variables...

As described in the readme... That I linked...

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

• 11 months later...

It took me a while to respond back to this, but I figured out what the issue was.

On Windows, I had to edit a registry key to enable ANSI and only THEN did the flags for color work!

I also managed to get it to work on the latest 1.18.2 Forge server as well (The new JVM argument thing is strange, but I kind of like that it's kept in a separate file. What is the reasoning behind that?)

BTW, here is the registry key to add/change for other people who want color in their console!
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
"VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001

After it's enabled, add these flags to your start.bat or user_jvm_args.txt
-Dterminal.keepMinecraftFormatting=true -Dterminal.jline=true -Dterminal.ansi=true