Help with custom armor

skip999

Hello,

I am attempting to create some custom armor, and I have a few questions.

1. I want to modify the way the game calculates the damage dealt to the player when wearing the armor. Essentially, I want to be able to check if the damage dealt is greater than 20 (or "Lethal" if that's an option ideally). I don't know which method I need to override in order to make this possible.

2. I want to be able to craft the armor with an item and "add" that item to the armor. Essentially when the armor is crafted with the item, the item is consumed and it's count in the armor increases. Ideally, I would like this done through the chestplate. How would I go about doing this?

3. I would like to do a custom render model for the armor. I have no idea how to do this as I have never done it before (think draconic evo armor model).

I would appreciate any and all help that you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

1) For this your best bet is to create a LivingAttackEvent and/or LivingDamageEvent to check the damage received, and also check if the player is wearing your armor. Both events have values for source and amount that can help you determine what to do from a "lethal" attack.

2) What you describe would most easily be enacted as a repair item for your armor, like how the phantom membrane restores elytra. Then each time the durability (or a special durability) is repaired by anvil or crafting, you can increment an NBT value to count how many times it's been repaired.

3) I would take a look at the BipedArmorLayer class for how vanilla armor is rendered. You can then specify that model in the item class with: 

@Nullable
@Override
public <A extends BipedModel<?>> A getArmorModel(LivingEntity entityLiving, ItemStack itemStack, EquipmentSlotType armorSlot, A _default) {
	return (A) new MyArmorModel();
}

and then the texture with something such as:

@Nullable
@Override
public String getArmorTexture(ItemStack stack, Entity entity, EquipmentSlotType slot, String type) {
	if(!"overlay".equals(type))
		return "mod_id:textures/models/armor/my_armor.png";
	else {
		return "mod_id:textures/models/armor/my_armor_overlay.png";
	}
}

Hope this helps

Edited by urbanxx001

I was able to get the even working fairly easily. However, I can't seem to find how to get the amount of damage the attacking source deals. Looking around in eclipse for suggested method calls, I can't find a method that returns what I assume would be an integer representing this.

Assuming an LivingDamangeEvent name "event", I assume it looks something like event.getSource().getDamageAmount(), but that option doesn't exist according to eclipse.

What do I need to call to get this value?

What I want to have happen is that when the player is wearing my armor and recieves a certain amount of damage in it, then the amount of damage dealt is decreased. What I am concerned about happening is that this will occur along with the vanilla process that handles damage to players in armor, undoing what I want to do. Does that make more sense?

Edited by skip999

Well what I am trying to do is essentially implement a sort of "ceramic plate" function with the armor. If the player wearing it is in a full suit of it, has a plate in the armor, and is dealt lethal damage (i.e. greater than 20), then the plate "breaks" and the damage is reduced significantly. Otherwise, it behaves like normal armor.

Edited by skip999

I decided to keep things simple and just do an RightClickEvent for it. As far as a custom render model is concerned, how would I go about implementing it. I know Urban mentioned BipedArmorLayer, but how would I go about ensuring my overrides are called in rendering?