Questions about modding setup

IRDarkMERC

Hi

I'm new in modding and so I have a lot of questions and problems during setup (and maybe coding too)

I saw some tutorials in the internet and I want to make my first mod but I have problems in setup

when I want to setup my workspace(by typing ./gradlew setworkspace in powershell), It'll gimme an error

image.png

so I tested another way by typing ./gradlew tasks and It was successful this time

image.png

(this is a part of cmd output if full log needed, tell me to send it as a text file)

is now my workspace ready to start modding? or I have to do something else too?

tnx

there is no task called "setworkspace". there were some similarly named tasks in 1.12 era; no more.

you unpacked the MDK for 1.18.2, i hope?

after that, open your IDE. i use intellij idea; if you use eclipse, this part will be similar but a bit different. activate the "open project" command (from the welcome screen or the file menu); find the build.gradle file in the mod directory (where you unpacked the example mod from MDK zip) and open it as a project file.

confirm that you are using java 17 (in case you have multiple versions installed.

next, open "view" menu -> "tool windows" submenu -> "gradle" menu item. you will see tasks you can execute. find "genIntellijRuns" and double click it (at this point if you are using eclipse, just run another task). give it a moment and a few run configurations will appear. open configuration for runClient and confirm that it is set to use java 17. run it.

that is it for a first setup.

after you can run the example mod, edit build.gradle, src/main/resources/META-INF/mods.toml and the main class because you don't want the mod id to be "examplemod" and name to be "example mod". as you do that, for every edit make a line in the shell script that will do it for you next time automatically (you can use the sed command to edit text files from command terminal).

46 minutes ago, MFMods said:

there is no task called "setworkspace". there were some similarly named tasks in 1.12 era; no more.

you unpacked the MDK for 1.18.2, i hope?

after that, open your IDE. i use intellij idea; if you use eclipse, this part will be similar but a bit different. activate the "open project" command (from the welcome screen or the file menu); find the build.gradle file in the mod directory (where you unpacked the example mod from MDK zip) and open it as a project file.

confirm that you are using java 17 (in case you have multiple versions installed.

next, open "view" menu -> "tool windows" submenu -> "gradle" menu item. you will see tasks you can execute. find "genIntellijRuns" and double click it (at this point if you are using eclipse, just run another task). give it a moment and a few run configurations will appear. open configuration for runClient and confirm that it is set to use java 17. run it.

that is it for a first setup.

after you can run the example mod, edit build.gradle, src/main/resources/META-INF/mods.toml and the main class because you don't want the mod id to be "examplemod" and name to be "example mod". as you do that, for every edit make a line in the shell script that will do it for you next time automatically (you can use the sed command to edit text files from command terminal).

oh ok tnx but one more question

what I have to do if I want to use vs code? and what extensions I have to install?

I know intellij and eclipse r good but I want to use my favorite ide(vs code)

tnx

Edited by IRDarkMERC