Random mod loading failures

Falxie_

I have a 1.18.2 modpack running Forge 40.1.73 which will periodically not load mods always caused by a ConcurrentModificationException. I've seen Create, Configured, Twigs, Chimes, and more all fail to load with some sort ConcurrentModificationException or InvocationTargetException with a nested ConcurrentModificationException and sometimes a ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException. In my testing environment running Forge 40.1.74 I added a few Create addons and now Create is semi-regularly failing to load, but seemingly irrespective of whether or not I have the addons enabled if anything the errors seem to be triggered by me enabling or disabling the addons rather than the addons themselves.

In most cases the mod loading failures can be resolved by relaunching and in more extreme cases by deleting the config folder.

I've collected a few different crash reports and a debug.log from my latest Create crash. https://gist.github.com/falxie/5dfac3d547743a2f4ace571725e81a00

The inconsistency of the crashes and the different mods effected make this incredibly hard to nail down to a single mod. I'm not sure if this is an issue with each mod or a combination of mods, Java, or Forge.

Edited by Falxie_

The best thing to do is to remove all the mods and start adding them in one by one and seeing at what point do the crashes begin to resurface. Most likely, there is one or two mods that are calling something incorrectly that could cause the issue. You may need to reload the game multiple times between adding the next mod because of how inconsistent CMEs are.

If doing one by one takes too long, you can always split the mods in half and load each half to see whether or not a CME occurs and keep repeating until you've narrowed it down to one mod.

Mod File: /home/falxie_/.local/share/PolyMC/instances/Construct/.minecraft/mods/Chimes-1.1.2-1.18.2.jar
	Failure message: Chimes (chimes) has failed to load correctly
		java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: null
	Mod Version: 1.1.2
	Mod Issue URL: NOT PROVIDED
	Exception message: java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
Stacktrace:
	at java.util.HashMap$HashIterator.nextNode(HashMap.java:1597) ~[?:?] {}
	at java.util.HashMap$EntryIterator.next(HashMap.java:1630) ~[?:?] {}
	at java.util.HashMap$EntryIterator.next(HashMap.java:1628) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeConfigSpec.correct(ForgeConfigSpec.java:251) ~[forge-1.18.2-40.1.73-universal.jar%23214!/:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeConfigSpec.isCorrect(ForgeConfigSpec.java:146) ~[forge-1.18.2-40.1.73-universal.jar%23214!/:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeConfigSpec.setConfig(ForgeConfigSpec.java:83) ~[forge-1.18.2-40.1.73-universal.jar%23214!/:?] {re:classloading}
	at com.nick.chimes.client.ChimesSettings.<clinit>(ChimesSettings.java:34) ~[Chimes-1.1.2-1.18.2.jar%2388!/:1.0] {re:classloading}
	at com.nick.chimes.Chimes.<init>(Chimes.java:61) ~[Chimes-1.1.2-1.18.2.jar%2388!/:1.0] {re:classloading}

Looks like an issue with chimes doing something strange with its config in its mod class initialisation.

Check you have the latest version then contact the mod author.

Edited by warjort

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

I thought I was making progress towards narrowing down the issue, but I ran into another crash this time with Twigs. I added the crash report to the gist. Interesting both Create Cafe and Twigs are seemingly having issues adding compostables with seemingly simple code. Going to keep pressing forward but keeping in mind that Twigs could be unstable.

Stacktrace:
	at it.unimi.dsi.fastutil.objects.Object2FloatOpenHashMap.rehash(Object2FloatOpenHashMap.java:1394) ~[fastutil-8.5.6.jar%2323!/:?] {}
	at it.unimi.dsi.fastutil.objects.Object2FloatOpenHashMap.insert(Object2FloatOpenHashMap.java:278) ~[fastutil-8.5.6.jar%2323!/:?] {}
	at it.unimi.dsi.fastutil.objects.Object2FloatOpenHashMap.put(Object2FloatOpenHashMap.java:286) ~[fastutil-8.5.6.jar%2323!/:?] {}
	at com.Imphuls3.createcafe.core.registry.CompostRegistry.register(CompostRegistry.java:11) ~[createcafe-1.9.3-1.18.2.jar%23106!/:1.9.3-1.18.2] {re:classloading}
	at com.Imphuls3.createcafe.CreateCafe.commonSetup(CreateCafe.java:46) ~[createcafe-1.9.3-1.18.2.jar%23106!/:1.9.3-1.18.2] {re:classloading}

Stacktrace:
	at it.unimi.dsi.fastutil.objects.Object2FloatOpenHashMap.rehash(Object2FloatOpenHashMap.java:1394) ~[fastutil-8.5.6.jar%2323!/:?] {}
	at it.unimi.dsi.fastutil.objects.Object2FloatOpenHashMap.insert(Object2FloatOpenHashMap.java:278) ~[fastutil-8.5.6.jar%2323!/:?] {}
	at it.unimi.dsi.fastutil.objects.Object2FloatOpenHashMap.put(Object2FloatOpenHashMap.java:286) ~[fastutil-8.5.6.jar%2323!/:?] {}
	at net.moddingplayground.twigs.init.TwigsVanillaIntegration.registerCompostable(TwigsVanillaIntegration.java:60) ~[twigs-forge-1.1.4-patch3+1.18.2.jar%23178!/:1.1.4-patch3+1.18.2] {re:classloading}
	at net.moddingplayground.twigs.init.TwigsVanillaIntegration.init(TwigsVanillaIntegration.java:20) ~[twigs-forge-1.1.4-patch3+1.18.2.jar%23178!/:1.1.4-patch3+1.18.2] {re:classloading}

I guess some other Mod is causing this crash, unfortunately the debug.log does not show any additional information.

You can try to add -Dforge.logging.mojang.level=debug to the JVM arguments of your Launcher.
Then Launch the game and produce the error, then post debug.log from the logs folder.

Edited by Luis_ST

5 minutes ago, Falxie_ said:

I thought I was making progress towards narrowing down the issue, but I ran into another crash this time with Twigs. I added the crash report to the gist. Interesting both Create Cafe and Twigs are seemingly having issues adding compostables with seemingly simple code. Going to keep pressing forward but keeping in mind that Twigs could be unstable.

It seems both Create Cafe and Twigs are at fault here. They both register to hash maps without enqueue causing the CME. Here are the relevant pieces of code for Create Cafe and Twigs. Reported both as issues on their repos.

3 minutes ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

It seems both Create Cafe and Twigs are at fault here. They both register to hash maps without enqueue causing the CME. Here are the relevant pieces of code for Create Cafe and Twigs. Reported both as issues on their repos.

Nice find! I wish I knew more about making a Forge mod and best practices around that so I could've caught that myself. I think I'll disable them and see if that fixes my other mod loading errors and otherwise keep moving forward and see if there are more problems elsewhere.

So that didn't help with the issue with Configured, but interestingly the error of code that I'm having errors with seems to have tried to fix a CME before https://github.com/MrCrayfish/Configured/commit/df3e8ed3e00bc6d6112d342de65b6a9455af0f21

Maybe this wasn't the correct way to fix it? Just a wild guess or some other mod is doing something non thread-safe that Configured is reading.

12 minutes ago, Falxie_ said:

Maybe this wasn't the correct way to fix it? Just a wild guess or some other mod is doing something non thread-safe that Configured is reading.

It seems like it wouldn't be an issue since the actual method is already enqueued. The fix seems useless imo since its synchronization in sequential execution. Based on what I'm looking at, I doubt that Configured would be the issue.

Took a bit of break and now am running into different errors this time with Create Jetpack https://gist.github.com/falxie/8171e61b4b007e72f21914546c14c475

Exception message: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown registration schematicannon for type ResourceKey[minecraft:root / minecraft:block]
Stacktrace:
	at com.tterrag.registrate.AbstractRegistrate.getRegistration(AbstractRegistrate.java:466) ~[create-1.18.2-0.5.0.d.jar%2380%23116!/:?] {re:classloading}

Below is a log that seems related. To me it seems like the mod is re-registering every single one of Create's blocks which can sometimes cause problems later. The other Create addons I have installed don't do this.

[30Aug2022 01:24:15.709] [Render thread/INFO] [net.minecraftforge.registries.GameData/]: Potentially Dangerous alternative prefix `create` for name `schematicannon`, expected `create_jetpack`. This could be a intended override, but in most cases indicates a broken mod.
[30Aug2022 01:24:15.709] [Render thread/DEBUG] [com.tterrag.registrate.AbstractRegistrate/REGISTRATE.REGISTER]: Registered create:schematicannon to registry minecraft:block

EDIT: Submitted an issue on their repo https://github.com/PssbleTrngle/CreateJetpack/issues/25

Edited by Falxie_

I ran into a new crash from Neapolitan, this one I don't really understand, but I have seen something similar before. https://gist.github.com/falxie/9d4e8aa8ec64532ecc7951effe402e53

The logs remind me of another crash that I've gotten where the text is just squares and there's a crash report for `java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.lang.Boolean.booleanValue()" because the return value of "java.util.function.Supplier.get()" is null`. I've gotten this a few times while testing.

2 hours ago, mohsin73 said:

There are a few things that can cause random mod loading failures. One is if the mods are not compatible with each other. Another is if the game files are corrupt. Finally, it could be an issue with your computer's graphics settings.

If the files are corrupt they get corrupted by something out of my control. These sort of crashes have effected my friends who use my pack. I think that it's an issue with the mods be it an incompatibility or something else.

10 minutes ago, Falxie_ said:

The logs remind me of another crash that I've gotten where the text is just squares and there's a crash report for `java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "java.lang.Boolean.booleanValue()" because the return value of "java.util.function.Supplier.get()" is null`. I've gotten this a few times while testing.

The only thing you can do is to make sure you are using the latest version.
If the Mod is already up to date, talk to the Mod author.

A bit on an update with these crashes. I've found what I think are similar incompatibilities between The Wild Backport and Decorative Blocks as well as people having similar issues that I've had with Configured. I haven't fully figured out what's wrong with Chimes yet, doesn't help that they have no source code nor issue tracker but I have had the same error.

I've also run into a lot of issues where mods or even the mod loading screen fail with NullPointerException which makes me wonder if it's an issue not with the mods themselves. https://gist.github.com/falxie/a644dad8e868679aa37084b87d54b49d