How to allocate more memory to forge using minecraft launcher

Dumdum

I want to allocate more memory to my modded minecraft forge profile, but have no access to the JVM arguments.

https://ibb.co/9przcBq

I tried to manually add a "-XmxTG" argument with T being the number of gigs that I wanted to allocate by manipulating the forge JSON file, but had no luck.
This likely has to do with the fact that I do not understand the point of the JSON file for forge, and couldn't find any useful documentation on it nor my issue.

Any suggestions for how to allocate more memory to forge using the minecraft launcher?

The jvm arguments are in the installation configurations for the vanilla launcher.

Click on installations at the top of the screen, edit the forge installation and click "more options"

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

1 minute ago, warjort said:

The jvm arguments are in the installation configurations for the vanilla launcher.

Click on installations at the top of the screen, edit the forge installation and click "more options"

They're probably using an old unsupported version (or god knows what) as well, considering they scribbled out the version number.

3 hours ago, warjort said:

I attached a screenshot of what the edit installation page brings up for me in my original post. As you can see, I don't have a jvm arguments box input area. This is why I am confused.

EDIT: I tried to find other people who had this same issue but could find nothing. I then tried to determine a workaround without using a 3rd party launcher, but couldn't find anything of meaning. I am perfectly able to modify the jvm arguments of any vanilla installation.

Edited by Dumdum
Elaboration

I attached a screenshot of what the edit installation page brings up for me in my original post.

I think you will find most intelligent people don't click on urls to sites they can't identify.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

11 hours ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

As an aside, we will typically only lock old versions from their usage (running up the installer or playing the game with it) and development. The question asked here is just allocating memory to the launcher, which is something that is not related to using a specific version of Forge.

That's great to know, and makes sense! I verified with the most up to date version that my issue persisted throughout the versions of forge before posting but while browsing the forum first for an answer as well as to see how well the moderation is on this forum, it seemed like most moderators and most of the active members are more focused on power tripping rather than actually being helpful to the forum. So, rather than taking a risk and hoping that whoever looks at my thread feels like actually being helpful, I covered up the version number because-- as you said-- it should have nothing to do with the specific version of forge because it's just a file that is being accessed through the vanilla launcher.

As a side note to my aforementioned observation ("...are more focused on power tripping rather than actually being helpful to the forum"), it's because a lot of them are; look at the second reply to my thread. Not useful at all to the nature of the thread, and prioritizing a completely unproductive remark rather than actually focusing on the issue and trying to be helpful. Besides, for somebody with over 2k replies and posts they evidently lack an understanding of the rules behind the forums-- otherwise they wouldn't have made the remark that they did. Hypothetically, if they had an understanding then why make their remark at all? Well in either scenario, it's because their priority is not assisting with the issue at hand. I mean, at a bare minimum if they wanted to be helpful they could've still made the remark while actually attempting to do something that would be helpful. Nonetheless, to give credit where credit is due they were certainly a good sport about my response.

Also, just curious @ChampionAsh5357, what is the nature of a warning? As in, does it currently affect me in any way, and if I receive too many what is incurred? I am obviously quite new here, so am unfamiliar with a lot of things.
(To those that are reading this: I reasonably received a warning for trying to circumvent the version rule to be safe)

Edited by Dumdum
More precise & a little less belligerent.

6 hours ago, warjort said:

I think you will find most intelligent people don't click on urls to sites they can't identify.

Actually, most intelligent people do a little bit of research. At a cursory glance, any research that you would have done would have revealed that the url is indeed safe.

And to further a point I made in my most previous reply, you chose to make this curt remark rather then addressing the issue that you had with it in a helpful manner. If you had asked the contents of the link be sent via another service that you are particularly okay with, I would have done that no problem. But you didn't, and favored making a brusque statement rather than being productive. 

THIS IS THE SOLUTION TO THE THEAD!

I expect there to be more responses below (EDIT: unless this thread is locked first) so hopefully the above will allow this reply to stand out better.

Frankly, just scroll down. If you look to the right of the launcher, you will notice that a uniquely thin scroll bar appears after you select more options (at least, so long as your launcher isn't large enough to display both of the boxes on the screen without the scroll bar). It blends in quite well, and is so gaunt that it is hard to see. 

EDIT:

A fitting solution considering my username, right? Anyway, thank you for your assistance @warjort, and thank you @ChampionAsh5357 for taking that as an opportunity to educate me. And @Ugdhar for being a good sport.

Edited by Dumdum
Show appreciation

7 hours ago, Dumdum said:

Also, just curious @ChampionAsh5357, what is the nature of a warning? As in, does it currently affect me in any way, and if I receive too many what is incurred? I am obviously quite new here, so am unfamiliar with a lot of things

Essentially, if you accumulate a certain number of warning points, you can face moderation of your posts, restriction, or even getting banned. Most of these are up to the forum team's discretion and typically involve circumventing the rules or necroposting/thread bumping. There are a number of other criteria as well, but we prefer to keep them private as they allow more criminals to easily expose themselves.

You would usually get a point for circumventing the rules, but since it essentially amounted to just a general launcher issue, I deemed it unnecessary to assign one. However, since this is being explained, there will be no further warnings on the matter.

15 hours ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

You would usually get a point for circumventing the rules, but since it essentially amounted to just a general launcher issue, I deemed it unnecessary to assign one. However, since this is being explained, there will be no further warnings on the matter.

Thank you @ChampionAsh5357