[SOLVED] How do I make my custom crossbow shoot a custom arrow?

EveryBlu

I've already looked the the vanilla CrossbowItem class, and I'm pretty sure I need to use mixins, yet I have no idea how to make this work.

Which method do I change? How do I even do it? I'm stuck, and keep in mind that I'm not a professional Modder.

Edited by EveryBlu

16 hours ago, EveryBlu said:

I'm pretty sure I need to use mixins

If you want to create your own crossbow, you don't need mixin.

What do you mean by custom arrow, does the player using the crossbow requires the arrow as an item in their inventory like the vanilla arrow or do you want a complete custom logic?

42 minutes ago, EveryBlu said:

I want my custom crossbow to shoot my own arrow entity, and require a custom arrow item to be in your inventory.

To have your custom crossbow only use your custom arrow, then you should override (in 1.20.1), one or both of the following methods in your crossbow class:

public Predicate<ItemStack> getSupportedHeldProjectiles() {
        return ARROW_OR_FIREWORK;
}

public Predicate<ItemStack> getAllSupportedProjectiles() {
        return ARROW_ONLY;
}

And modify the return predicate to check for your arrow, something like:

Predicate<ItemStack> CUSTOM_ARROW = (stack) -> {return stack.getItem() instanceof (custom arrow class)};

And if a special item is required to launch an arrow, then in the following method you'll just need to check if the player has the item in their inventory:

public InteractionResultHolder<ItemStack> use(Level pLevel, Player pPlayer, InteractionHand pHand) {
  	if (pPlayer.getInventory().items.contains(your custom item)) {
  		(fire arrow)
	}
}
Edited by urbanxx001

return stack = ModItems.CUSTOM_ARROW.get().defaultInstance();

Did you mean 

return stack == ModItems.CUSTOM_ARROW.get().defaultInstance();

because your code throws an error (Bad return type in lambda expression: ItemStack cannot be converted to Boolean)

22 minutes ago, EveryBlu said:

because your code throws an error (Bad return type in lambda expression: ItemStack cannot be converted to Boolean)

Yeah I modified my reply while you were likely replying 🙃 See above again. Instanceof will be better than defaultinstance check.

Edited by urbanxx001

This is what I've got

private static final Predicate<ItemStack> FIERY_ARROW = (stack) -> stack.getItem() instanceof FieryArrowItem;
    private static final Predicate<ItemStack> FIERY_ARROW_OR_FIREWORK = FIERY_ARROW.or((stack -> stack.is(Items.FIREWORK_ROCKET)));

public WildCrossbowItem(Properties properties) {
        super(properties);
    }

@Override
    public @NotNull InteractionResultHolder<ItemStack> use(@NotNull Level level, @NotNull Player player, @NotNull InteractionHand hand) {
        ItemStack stack = player.getItemInHand(hand);

if (player.getInventory().items.contains(InitItems.FIERY_ARROW.get())) {
            performShooting(level, player, hand, stack, getShootingPower(stack), 1.0f);
            return InteractionResultHolder.consume(stack);
        }
        return InteractionResultHolder.fail(stack);
    }

@Override
    public @NotNull Predicate<ItemStack> getSupportedHeldProjectiles() {
        return FIERY_ARROW_OR_FIREWORK;
    }

@Override
    public @NotNull Predicate<ItemStack> getAllSupportedProjectiles() {
        return FIERY_ARROW;
    }

private static float getShootingPower(ItemStack stack) {
        return containsChargedProjectile(stack, Items.FIREWORK_ROCKET) ? 1.6F : 3.15F;
    }

but none of this works. Keep in mind I'm not good at modding 😔, so if there's some obvious solution, then that's why I'm look stupid here.

Edited by EveryBlu

• EveryBlu changed the title to [SOLVED] How do I make my custom crossbow shoot a custom arrow?

Finally got around to fixing this, just removed the use method, and changed 

FIERY_ARROW_ONLY = (stack) -> stack.getItem() instanceof InitItems.FIERY_ARROW.get();

to

FIERY_ARROW_ONLY = (stack) -> stack.is(InitItems.FIERY_ARROW.get());

which fixes the issue.

Edited by EveryBlu