Hammer for my mod

Fergoman007

1. Learn Java, if you don't know it already

2. Do what Busti said.

3. Once you have the block coordinates, use World#destroyBlock(x, y, z, true/false) to destroy the block. It is called "func_147480_a" in 1.7.2, if that's the version you are using.

4. If you want to destroy more than one block, destroy the blocks +/- 1 each from x and z to get your 3x3 pattern, as in (x + 1, y, z), (x + 1, y, z + 1), (x - 1, y, z - 1) <-- that's one row, you need three

@Override
    public void onBlockDestroyedByPlayer(World world, int x, int y, int z, int meta) {
        for (int ix = -1; x < 2; x++) {
            for (int iy = -1; x < 2; x++) {
                for (int iz = -1; x < 2; x++) {
                    //Do all the block break stuff...
                    world.setBlock(x+ix, y+iy, z+iz, Blocks.air); //This will just delete the blocks in a 3x3 area around the broken block but it won't drop anything.
                }
            }
        }
    }

EDIT: @coolAlias Oh I haven't noticed the destroyBlock method in World...

PM's regarding modding questions should belong in the Modder Support sub-forum and won't be answered.

EDIT: @coolAlias Oh I haven't noticed the destroyBlock method in World...

Did you see my note? If you are working in 1.7.2, "destroyBlock" is called "func_147480_a".

The final boolean parameter determines whether the block will drop items, so if you pass true, you can destroy the blocks and get the drops, or false to just destroy the blocks. Using the destroyBlock (a.k.a func_147480_a in 1.7.2) will also automatically give you a sound and particle effects.

Where exactly would I put the onBlockDestroyedByPlayer method

You don't, unless you are making a custom Block instead of an Item, but you're making a Hammer, right? Use what Busti suggested earlier, the onItemUse method in the Item class. The example with onBlockDestroyedByPlayer was likely just some code he had sitting around to demonstrate how to break all the blocks in a 3x3 area using "for" loops, but that's not the method you want.

You could also use the onBlockDestroyed() method wich is called when a Block is broken by the Item and not when the Item is Used (right clicked...)

Your full code would be:

@Override
    public boolean onBlockDestroyed(ItemStack item, World world, Block destroyedBlock, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase entity) {
                    world.func_147480_a(x+ix, y+iy, z+iz, true);
                }
            }
        }
        return true;
    }

You could also damage the ItemStack after that happens...

PM's regarding modding questions should belong in the Modder Support sub-forum and won't be answered.

You could also use the onBlockDestroyed() method wich is called when a Block is broken by the Item and not when the Item is Used (right clicked...)

Your full code would be:

@Override
    public boolean onBlockDestroyed(ItemStack item, World world, Block destroyedBlock, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase entity) {
                    world.func_147480_a(x+ix, y+iy, z+iz, true);
                }
            }
        }
        return true;
    }

You could also damage the ItemStack after that happens...

Oh right, derp... forgot there is also that method in Item! Lol, sorry about that. @OP just listen to Busti, he knows what's up.

@Fergoman, instead of asking other people to write all your code for you, you'll only learn modding by trying things.  People here then will be happy to help you out.  But you need to show what you've tried.

If you want to make a special hammer, can you show your code so far?  Even if the hammer doesn't do the 3x3 block damage yet, show what you have and what you've tried.

Some of the things you'll need to do before getting to the breaking part:

- create and register your hammer item class, either as an extension of vanilla hammer or depending on how much different you want it to be an extension of a generic tool class.

- make sure it works as a regular hammer -- is it registered, breaking blocks normally, does it show up in the creative tab you want, does it have the right model and texture you want, does it have the right sounds you want?

- create and register the crafting recipe to make it.

- make sure the crafting recipe works

Have you done all that already?

Only after all the above works, should you be trying to make it do special stuff like the 3x3 destruction.  And usually, if you have all the above working, it will be pretty obvious what needs to be modified (i.e. find the method activated when you break blocks normally and then modify that) -- in this case the onBlockDestroyed() method looks promising as indicated by Busti.

So can you post your code you've got so far (even if it only works like vanilla hammer so far) so we can better help you?

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

ok this is what i have tried

this has not worked

public boolean onItemUse(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, World world, int x, int y, int z, int side, float px, float py, float pz)
    {
        boolean isCobble =  world.getBlock(x, y, z) == Blocks.cobblestone;
        boolean isStone = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == Blocks.stone;
        boolean isStoneBrick = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == Blocks.stonebrick;
        if(isCobble || isStone || isStoneBrick){

world.func_147480_a(x + ix, y + iy, z + iz, true);
                    }
                }
            }
            return true;
        }
        else
        {
            System.out.println("[FergoTools] False");
            return false;
        }
    }

what i meant was that it is breaking two sets of 3x3 on the x/z

public boolean onBlockDestroyed(ItemStack stack, World world, Block block, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase elb)
    {
        // Vanilla Blocks
        boolean isCobble =  world.getBlock(x, y, z) == Blocks.cobblestone;
        boolean isStone = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == Blocks.stone;
        boolean isStoneBrick = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == Blocks.stonebrick;
        boolean isSandtone = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == Blocks.sandstone;

boolean isOreExperience = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == ModBlocks.oreExperience;
        boolean isOreObsidian = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == ModBlocks.oreObsidian;
        boolean isOreEmeraldCrystal = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == ModBlocks.oreEmeraldCrystal;
        boolean isOreLapisCrystal = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == ModBlocks.oreLapisCrystal;
        boolean isOreBronze = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == ModBlocks.oreBronze;
        boolean isOreAdamantium = world.getBlock(x, y, z) == ModBlocks.oreAdamantium;

boolean[] vanillaBlocks = new boolean[]{isCobble, isStone, isStoneBrick, isSandtone};
        boolean[] fergoToolsOres = new boolean[]{isOreExperience, isOreObsidian, isOreEmeraldCrystal, isOreLapisCrystal, isOreBronze, isOreAdamantium};

if(vanillaBlocks[0] || vanillaBlocks[1] || vanillaBlocks[2] || fergoToolsOres[0] || fergoToolsOres[1] || fergoToolsOres[2] || fergoToolsOres[3] || fergoToolsOres[4] || fergoToolsOres[5] || world.getBlock(x, y, z) != Blocks.bedrock)
        {
            for(int ix = -1; ix < 2; ++ix)
            {
                for (int iy = -1; iy < 2; ++iy)
                {
                    for (int iz = -1; iz < 2; ++iz)
                    {
                        world.func_147480_a(x + ix, y + iy, z + iz, true);
                        stack.setItemDamage(stack.getItemDamage() - 9);
                    }
                }
            }

return true;
        }
        else
        {
            return false;
        }
    }

Edit: added Code to Reply

Yes, the way you have your code it will break one 3x3 layer where you strike, plus one 3x3 layer both above and below that position, but the one above you'd only notice if you hit next to a wall or something. That's caused by the 'y' for loop that I pointed out earlier.

One other point: you should only add/destroy blocks on the server (when the world is not remote), otherwise you can get ghost blocks - ones that either look like they exist but don't (when you add on the client), or are invisible but still block your path (when destroyed on the client).

it played around with it a bit and still getting the the extra set of 3x3

Edit corrected spelling

Did you try removing the y loop like I suggested? Like this:

for(int ix = -1; ix < 2; ++ix) {
        for (int iz = -1; iz < 2; ++iz) {
                world.func_147480_a(x + ix, y, z + iz, true);
                stack.setItemDamage(stack.getItemDamage() - 9);
         }
}

Honestly I do not understand why anyone is helping this person. He/She clearly does not know Java or doesn't know how to mod or is lazy and should figure this simple task out him/her self. The rules for the modders support also say that you should know Java to post. If you just give him/her the code he/she will learn nothing and this part of his/her mod would be your work, not theirs. I ask of everyone to please not responding to people who what other people to do all the work for them because it's a waste of time and they will get the idea that they can get other people to do work for them.

Don't be afraid to ask question when modding, there are no stupid question! Unless you don't know java then all your questions are stupid!

Honestly I do not understand why anyone is helping this person. He/She clearly does not know Java or doesn't know how to mod or is lazy and should figure this simple task out him/her self. The rules for the modders support also say that you should know Java to post. If you just give him/her the code he/she will learn nothing and this part of his/her mod would be your work, not theirs. I ask of everyone to please not responding to people who what other people to do all the work for them because it's a waste of time and they will get the idea that they can get other people to do work for them.

I say its fine if we help him through this, as long as we don't give him code directly. He will at least learn something that way.

I like to make mods, just like you. Here's one worth checking out