[1.7.2][10.12.1.1103] Help me understand the RotationHelper

ZZT

Hi, So honestly the RotationHelper confuses the hell out of me.

At first I figured it was something akin to the OreDict but for rotation, So that you can rotate any type of block as long as it is registered and able.

I was wrong. It looks like it can only rotate vanilla blocks or extensions of vanilla blocks, and best yet 80% of rotatable blocks are only allowed to be rotate upward or downwards.

I also cant imaging extending the RotationHelper class because the useful methods and property are private.

Ideas?

Update

As pointed out Here the Rotation Helper is used by the Block class in its methods rotateBlock, and getValidRotations.

Basically means there is the compatibility layer I was hoping for.

It is in the form of methods inside the Block class that can be overwritten by your custom block's classes.

That is very disappointing, and it's not as if I'm incapable of doing the rotation on my own.

I just assumed that the RotationHelper was acting as a compatibility layer just as the OreDict does.

Hi

Unfortunately I don't think there is a standard way to rotate non-vanilla blocks which your mod hasn't created.  Everyone is free to implement their block directions in any metadata coding they want, and I'm pretty sure there is no standard method  to rotate the block (eg an overridable Block method).  It's a good idea, perhaps I'll suggest it as a possible improvement and see if they bite.

In the meantime, you might be able to get the effect you want by manipulating the player's position / facing direction (rotationYaw) when placing the block (for onBlockPlacedBy) or the side (for onBlockPlaced) methods.  For example - your code could create a small "test region" in the world somewhere, out of sight, place the custom block six times, once for facing each six directions, read the metadata for each successful placement, and use that.

But to be honest that's a not very robust and I'm not sure it's worth the effort unless your mod absolutely depends on being able to rotate unknown blocks.

-TGG

I wonder if there is a generic solution in place, something that could allow the BLOCK to determine how the BLOCK should rotate so that we dont have to have a central registry for all mod BLOCKS. But humm how do we get vanilla BLOCKS to respect and react to the BLOCK being told it should rotate? Perhaps by segmenting out the vanilla coode into some form of RotationHelper class so that it doesnt congest other parts of code where the modder shouldnt care. Humm I wonder how this helper class is used by forge... perhaps i should see where some of its functions are being called from. Maybe then i may gain a better understanding of why this code exists instead of making random guesses and bitching when my guess is wrong. (If that was to suttle for your THERE IS A DAMN HOOK IN BLOCK THAT YOU CALL AND CUSTOM BLOCKS OVERRIDE! The Helper is so that we dont have to have a MASSIVE hunk of code in our patch file -.-)

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

True I didn't look to see where the RotationHelper was being used, but that was because when I looked at it it seemed useless.

Now I understand where you're coming from, but Jesus Christ tone down the narcissism jackass.

On a similar note my understanding could still be warped, but is it intended for all but 7 of the vanilla blocks to only be rotated upwards or downwards?

To me it looks like at least stairs should be able to rotate it just about ever direction.

Also is it to much to ask for a getCurrentRotation method?

It wasnt narcisism it was exageration forvcomidic effect, and i found it funny so lighten the hell up. I have to do something to keep myself entertained when i have to explain rather simple programming concepts like checking references and not jumping to conclusions.

as for the appearance that a lot of blocks can only rotate up or down, thats because a lot of blocks can pnly rotate up or down. But last time i checked (albeit a while ago) eacg vanilla block could rotate corrextly. if it cant feel free to bring cases to my attention via github issue/pr and ill look at them.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Ah, I understand the frustration of explaining simple programming concepts; but I guess its just been a very long time sense I've been on the receiving end, so sorry about that.

I'll go cycle through most of the vanilla blocks to check if they rotate correctly, although I don't know how I would specify a stair to be upside down and facing north.

I guess I could rotate it north and then up.