How about Java 8?

Two

Last time I asked I was told that a Java version update would be possible as long as everyone does it. If that's still true: how about doing a version update once 1.8 is ready?

As Java 8 is out for over half a year now, it can be safely assumed that it is mature enough. And with Java 8 we would get many features that would make life as a developer a lot easier.

The very useful Lambda operations are just one massive reason to go with Java 8. It not only allows to shorten many constructs, in addition the ability to execute code in parallel on the fly can be a massive speed increase to many mods. Then we have enhanced concurrent operations, additional Math methods that help a lot with bit-wise operations, Optionals to get rid of all those NullPointerExceptions, default methods and function parameters which will make designing APIs a lot easier, and on top of that all features of Java 7.

As far as I understand it, all that has to be done would be to change the compile target in Forge and we should be good to go?

My Mods

New Dawn - A completely new terrain engine for Minecraft

TwoTility - Blocks and Items for a better Minecraft

TwoGraves - Keeps your items safe on death

As far as I understand it, all that has to be done would be to change the compile target in Forge and we should be good to go?

And force the 7 million forge users who ONLY have java 6 installed to install java 8.

This has nothing to do with java itself it is completely to do with end users.

Can you GUARANTEE me universal adoption of Java 8 right NOW. No you can't This will not happen.

Basic programming practices, target what the environment/engine gives you.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon