Updating your mod to 1.8

Eternaldoom

Could someone give me a quick crash course on how to make the JSONs to work. Where to place the textures ect. What about switching states such as having a model that changes one texture depending if the block is on or off. Ktnxbye.

If my post helped you, please press that "Thank You"-button to show your appreciation.

Also if you don't know Java, I would suggest you read the official tutorials by Oracle to get an idea of how to do this. Thanks, and good modding!

Also if you haven't, set up a Git repo for your mod not only for convinience but also to make it easier to help you.

Hi

You may find this link useful

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/p/list-of-topics.html

Especially the topics under "Blocks" and "Items".

This example project also has several working examples of blocks and items with custom textures and with the switching states you said.

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

-TGG

Hello and thanks for your guide!

I still have some troubles. First, I used metadata to differentiate between colors of my item (pipe), but that does not work now. I create recipes like this:

GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(WaterPipe.waterpipe, 1, 0), new Object[] {" B ", " I ", "DGD", Character.valueOf('B'), Items.brick, Character.valueOf('I'), Items.iron_ingot, Character.valueOf('G'), Items.glass_bottle, Character.valueOf('D'), new ItemStack(Items.dye, 1, 2)});
GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(WaterPipe.waterpipe, 1, 1), new Object[] {" B ", " I ", "DGD", Character.valueOf('B'), Items.brick, Character.valueOf('I'), Items.iron_ingot, Character.valueOf('G'), Items.glass_bottle, Character.valueOf('D'), new ItemStack(Items.dye, 1, 1)});
GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(WaterPipe.waterpipe, 1, 2), new Object[] {" B ", " I ", "DGD", Character.valueOf('B'), Items.brick, Character.valueOf('I'), Items.iron_ingot, Character.valueOf('G'), Items.glass_bottle, Character.valueOf('D'), new ItemStack(Items.dye, 1, 4)});

But when I place this block and try to get it's metadata via getMetaFromState(state) in onBlockActivated, it always returns 0.

And second, I have trouble getting textures for metadata blocks. I played with it for some time, but without success.

public static final String[] multiBlockNames = { 
    	MODID + ":" + "greenWaterPipe", MODID + ":" + "redWaterPipe", MODID + ":" + "blueWaterPipe", MODID + ":" + "blackWaterPipe",
    	MODID + ":" + "limeWaterPipe", MODID + ":" + "orangeWaterPipe", MODID + ":" + "cyanWaterPipe", MODID + ":" + "pinkWaterPipe"
};

@EventHandler
    public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event)
    {
    	if(event.getSide() == Side.CLIENT)
	{
		RenderItem renderItem = Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem();
		for(int i = 0; i < 8; i++)
		{
			renderItem.getItemModelMesher().register(Item.getItemFromBlock(waterpipe), 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MODID + ":" + ((BlockWaterPipe) waterpipe).getName() + "_" + i, "inventory"));
		}
		ModelBakery.addVariantName(Item.getItemFromBlock(waterpipe), multiBlockNames);
	}
    }

And textures are in folder assets\reaper_waterpipe\textures\blocks

named WaterPipe_0, WaterPipe_1, WaterPipe_2 ...

Here is except from BlockWaterPipe

private final String name = "waterpipe";

protected BlockWaterPipe ()
    {
        super(Material.glass);
        GameRegistry.registerBlock(this, WaterPipeMultiItemBlock.class, "waterpipe");
        setUnlocalizedName(WaterPipe.MODID + "_" + name);
        setHardness(0.3F);
        setResistance(5.0F);
        setStepSound(Block.soundTypeGlass);
        setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabDecorations);
    }

My modid is "reaper_waterpipe"

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Okay, I fixed all problems thanks to TheGreyGhost's examples, thank you a lot :)

But I have one question - is it possible to render block in hand in the same way as block placed down, when it is set to render with specialRenderer? I.e. if I create new model and assign it to block via TileEntityRenderer, can I make it so the model is rendered when in hand, too?

Sorry for mistakes, English is not my mother tongue

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to figure this out. I have a .json file :

{
  "parent": "builtin/generated",
  "textures": {
    "layer0": "MinePlus:items/itemIronNugget"
  },
  "display": {
    "thirdperson": {
      "rotation": [ -90, 0, 0 ],
      "translation": [ 0, 1, -3 ],
      "scale": [ 0.55, 0.55, 0.55 ]
    },
    "firstperson": {
      "rotation": [ 0, -135, 25 ],
      "translation": [ 0, 4, 2 ],
      "scale": [ 1.7, 1.7, 1.7 ]
    }
  }
}

and I added your line to init()

Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(YourItem, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(ModInfo.MOD_ID + ":" + ItemNames.ironNugget, "inventory"));

what should I put in YourItem? and what should I call the texture.png file? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to learn Forge recently with the help of Wuppy29's book, but since that was written for 1.7.10, I've had to refer to this thread many times. I've been trying to register the JSON files for a block. The OP says that the following line can be used for both blocks and items:

Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(YourItem, metadata, new ModelResourceLocation("modid:items_registered_name", "inventory"));

But that method only works if the first parameter is an Item object. What am I supposed to do differently to register block models?

• 7 months later...

ModelBakery.addVariantName(yourItem, new String[]{"different", "variant", "namesOfModelFiles"});

Im not the smartest, so im just trying to clarify something. but for this part of the code you input your .json file locations, correct? So you might replace "different" with "ModID:Cobblestone.json" and "variant" with "ModID:Cobblestone_mossy.json". I just want to make sure so im not missing anything.

ModelBakery.addVariantName(yourItem, new String[]{"different", "variant", "namesOfModelFiles"});

Im not the smartest, so im just trying to clarify something. but for this part of the code you input your .json file locations, correct? So you might replace "different" with "ModID:Cobblestone.json" and "variant" with "ModID:Cobblestone_mossy.json". I just want to make sure so im not missing anything.

The strings passed to

ModelBakery.addVariantName

are the names of the item models (without extensions) to load. If you pass the string

"ModID:Cobblestone"

, it will load the model file assets/modid/model/item/Cobblestone.json.

Side note: You don't need to explicitly create an array when calling vararg methods like

ModelBakery.addVariantName

. Simply pass the values and Java will create an array for you (this is the whole point of vararg methods).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.