[1.8] [SOLVED] Trying to get the highest block at the location

Brickfix

Hi,

I'm trying to generate custom structures, and for this I use the DecorateBiomeEvent. This event doesn't give me the actual world height at the location, and for some reason the function world.getHeightValue(x, z) isn't there any longer.

So I tried to write my own function to replace it, but I encounter a problem.

This is my funtion:

protected int getTopBlock(World world, BlockPos pos)

{

int j;

int y=-1;

int k=0;

boolean topBlock = false;

pos = pos.add(0, 255, 0);

for ( j=255; j<=63; j--)

{

if (!world.getBlockState(pos).getBlock().isOpaqueCube())

{

topBlock=true;

k++;

}

if (topBlock && (k==1))

{

y=j;

}

pos = pos.add(0, -1, 0);

}

System.out.println(k);

return y;

}

For some reason this doesn't work, and I just can't find the mistake I made.

I tried a lot of different things, for example

if(world.getBlockState(pos).getBlock()!=Blocks.air) {}

or

if(!world.getBlockState(pos).isAirBlock)

but nevertheless, it just doesn't work

I printed out the integer k so I can see if my function works at all, but I found out that k will be alway 0, therefor the if-function was never used.

I could imagine that this is just me overlooking something, but it would be very appreciated if somebody could help me :)

Brickfix

world.getBlockState(pos) <-- and where is j?  You're looking at the same block every single time.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thanks for the fast reply

In the last line in the 'for' - function I am lowering the pos by one

pos = pos.add(0, 1, 0)

this should happen for every loop.

But I will try

world.getBlockState(pos.add(0, j, 0)) as well ...

EDIT:

I changed the arguments of the first if-function

if(world.getBlockState(pos.add(0, j, 0)).getBlock() == Blocks.air)

So k should increase everytime there is an air block.

but still, k remains 0! Am I just to stupid to use boolean values or is getBlockState.getBlock not compareable to a block?

I used a simiular thing with my actaual structur, and it worked there

Thanks again to whoever takes some time with this to help me

2.EDIT

I of course also removed the line

pos = pos.add(0, 255, 0) befor the for-function. I still didn't work.

pos = pos.add(0, -1, 0)

Ah, you're right, I missed that.  Also, the

pos = pos.add(0, 255, 0);

might not be what you want.  Don't you want to set the Y value to 255 not add 255?

Though, is

getBlockState

the right function to use here?  Pretty sure that's equivalent to

getBlockMetadata

, although not having actually played with 1.8 I'm admittedly guessing.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

I worked the whole thing out.

I mixed up < and > in the for function.

So the whole for loop didn't run a single time. But now it is working like a charm :)

here the whole function for those who might need it:

protected int getTopBlock(World world, BlockPos pos)

{

int j;

int y=-1;

int k=0;

boolean topBlock = false;

for ( j=255; j>=63; j--)

{

if (!world.getBlockState(pos.add(0, j, 0)).getBlock().equals(Blocks.air))

{

topBlock=true;

k++;

}

if (topBlock && (k==1))

{

y=j;

}

}

System.out.println(k);

return y;

}

Ah, yeah, that'd do it.

Also, try to use the [code ] tag.

I'm pretty sure you can use world.getHorizon

No, no you cannot.  For two reasons.

1) @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

2) Returns horizon height for use in rendering the sky.  As in, where the sun gets clipped: return this == FLAT ? 0.0D : 63.0D;

Is there a method in 1.8 called

world.getTopSolidOrLiquidBlock

?

Also your method was probably not removed, but now has an MCP name "func_xxxxx_x".

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

thanks for the reply

I have scanned through all fxxxx() functions - there is only one accepting pos as argument and returning an interger - and it has something to do with redstone power - so I guess that is not what I am looking for.

But I found some other nice functions, which are not needed right now but very usefull.

Thx :)

Is there a method in 1.8 called

world.getTopSolidOrLiquidBlock

?

That function is basically just a for loop iterating over the column anyway.  Here's 1.7.10's version:

/**
     * Finds the highest block on the x, z coordinate that is solid and returns its y coord. Args x, z
     */
    public int getTopSolidOrLiquidBlock(int p_72825_1_, int p_72825_2_)
    {
        Chunk chunk = this.getChunkFromBlockCoords(p_72825_1_, p_72825_2_);
        int x = p_72825_1_;
        int z = p_72825_2_;
        int k = chunk.getTopFilledSegment() + 15;
        p_72825_1_ &= 15;

for (p_72825_2_ &= 15; k > 0; --k)
        {
            Block block = chunk.getBlock(p_72825_1_, k, p_72825_2_);

if (block.getMaterial().blocksMovement() && block.getMaterial() != Material.leaves && !block.isFoliage(this, x, k, z))
            {
                return k + 1;
            }
        }

return -1;
    }

So there's little harm in duplicating it and just looking for the block you do care about.  That function "cheats" a little by finding the top-most y-chunk first (

chunk.getTopFilledSegment()

), but for something that happens less than once-per-chunk (you're spawning bushes, they should be pretty rare, on the order of once every 25 chunks or less) the performance impact is going to be pretty minimal.  Heck, even once-a-chunk isn't going to create noticeable world gen delay trying to locate the world surface.  You can be reasonably assured that it's "at least Y=60" for the overworld for instance....

(Although you'd be better off using

worldObj.provider.getAverageGroundLevel()

than a fixed value; note that even though it says "average height" it's more like "minimum ground height before the ocean kicks in" as it calls

terrainType.getMinimumSpawnHeight()

)