Easiest way to cycle thronugh 16 different blocks.

WolfAmaril

You mean a random one of the 16 blocks? If so, add a Block[] and a Random field in your item, and when ou want to place that block, get the Block using

Block block = blockArray[random.nextInt(blockArray.length)]

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

You'll need some sort of integer variable to store which block you're on. Then do something like this:

int i = 0; // Only do this once
block = blockArray[i++];
i %= 16;

Alternatively, if you take advantage of the fact that assignment statements return the type that was assigned, you can do something like this:

int i = 0;
block = blockArray[i = (i + 1) % 16];

Do note that the second method may be considered poor style.

You'll need some sort of integer variable to store which block you're on. Then do something like this:

int i = 0; // Only do this once
block = blockArray[i++];
i %= 16;

Alternatively, if you take advantage of the fact that assignment statements return the type that was assigned, you can do something like this:

int i = 0;
block = blockArray[i = (i + 1) % 16];

Do note that the second method may be considered poor style.

I already had all of this figured out. All I need to know is how to initialize and write to this blockArray because every time I try IntelliJ throws every error known to mankind at me.

If you want it to be different from player to player, you may want to attach that integer to every player. This means you need to use extended entity properties. Here's a link: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-17x.html

Another way of doing it is having a "tool" that places the blocks down for you. You can use the damage value to store which block you want to use, since you only have 16 blocks.

Neither of the above options is trivial.

There might also be a way of getting what you want using the number of items in the stack (ItemStack.getSize() % 16), although that won't necessarily cycle if the player changes the stack size, but as long as the player keeps placing down blocks, they will cycle. (A useful side-effect of this is that if the player breaks the last block placed, the cycle will automatically go back one step.)

Are you asking how to register blocks? You wouldn't initialize them otherwise.

Assuming you've registered the blocks already, you should already have static references to them. You can just make a block array, then assign each element individually:

Block[] blockArray = new Block[16];
blockArray[0] = block0;
// ...

Again, with no information about the supposed errors you're getting, it is impossible to help you further.

OK, so I've been doing it right the whole time.

Every time I try to do that, the first line

public Block[] blockArray = new Block[16];
works fine, but then when I try to write to it in the next line
blockArray[1] = ModBlocks.modblock;
IntelliJ thrown an Unknown Class error at me for both sides of the line.

Did you import your classes properly?

(I assume you know how the package structure works in Java, but you should at least know what a "class" is.)

Pretty sure I have, at least I assume so. I'm kind of new to Java, but not that new.

The code is here https://github.com/WolfAmaril/ColoredFlame/blob/master/src/main/java/com/wolfamaril/coloredflame/item/ItemAdaptiveIgnitorHardened.java if you want to double check that I haven't missed something really obvious.

My guess is that your project isn't set up properly or got changed. Try reverting to the most recent working version of your code, and see if the problem persists. Comment out lines until the error disappears. Then you'll have a better understanding of what causes the error. From looking at the github repository, the classes that you import don't actually exist. (This probably isn't the problem since your project setup could be using the libraries externally.)

As a side note, instead of having multiple if statements when you're checking integer equality, you can use a switch statement instead. It usually looks nicer. (There are also some optimizations that compilers can do with switches, but that's not really relevant.)

Where do you do

?

You said next line... so directly below where you initialize the array? That is wrong. You need to set it inside a constructor/method/initializer.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

Or do something like this:

Block[] blockArray = new Block[]{block1,block2,block3,block4,...};

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Or do something like this:

Block[] blockArray = new Block[]{block1,block2,block3,block4,...};

This will almost certainly fail, because those variables are almost certainly null at the time, and the array won't update when those variables get defined.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Where do you do

?

You said next line... so directly below where you initialize the array? That is wrong. You need to set it inside a constructor/method/initializer.

For those of you wondering. This was the answer I was looking for. I was trying to set the array values outside the constructor. When I set the array values inside the constructor, it works.