[1.7.10] setBlock event

GiMoe

This most likely has been answered numerous times on this forum, but I cant find an answer.

How come there is no forge event/hook for every time minecraft or a mod uses the setBlock command? Is it too resource intensive because its such a common function?

I'm making a world gen mod, and to be compatible with other mods I have to be picky about what types of blocks other mods generate. To be more specific I would like to replace grass and leaf blocks with custom blocks.

Is there a way to do this without having to make a coremod? If so, is there a coremod out there that i can just use?

I searched around and I found that none have been updated :( But I did find this that a friend told me you could decompile and look at and update to 1.8 and use! http://www.gamespot.com/minecraft/forums/cofh-core-mod-1-7-10-1-7-2-31468898/

Forgive my friend if he is wrong and me for posting it.

-Jake

P.S. Could you take a look at my topic under yours? I'm having trouble with item textures.

Check out my mod- SteelMod++ and maybe we can support each other :)

Help me learn and some day I will be able to help you learn!

This is probably what you are looking for, BUT note that this will cause your world generation to go probably 2 times slower.

@SubscribeEvent
public void populateChunk(PopulateChunkEvent.Pre event)
{
	Chunk chunk = event.world.getChunkFromChunkCoords(event.chunkX, event.chunkZ);
for (ExtendedBlockStorage storage : chunk.getBlockStorageArray()) {}
}

Null checks and iteration through all blocks in chunk.

Note: There is Pre and Post.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Some mods (I'm working with thaumcraft now) add structures/features using (im assuming)  BiomeDecorators, that happens after the chunk events, right? (but i can use the biomeDecorator event in that case)

I was trying to avoid scanning all blocks in a chunk, but I'll try the methods you guys suggested; maybe I can limit the blocks scanned to a known range. Thanks.

I was trying to avoid scanning all blocks in a chunk, but I'll try the methods you guys suggested; maybe I can limit the blocks scanned to a known range. Thanks.

Based on having done basically that ("scan all the blocks") it's pretty fast, especially if you use Ernio's method, just keep in mind that an

ExtendedBlockStorage

object is a 16x16x16 volume (so each one in the array covers a range of 16 blocks on the Y axis inside a given chunk).  If you're only looking for grass and leaves, you can easily skip the first 3.  The fourth is probably skippable as well.  Then you just have to skip the null ones until you run out (its possible for a non-null volume to be above a null volume in the extreme hills biome!).

You can see what I did here.  There's some things I need to update (like the fact that at one time it was registered as an IWorldGenerator, and now isn't and is called from a chunk generation event, so I can remove that interface).1  But the core loop is valid and handles blocks as their internally native block IDs (to avoid the overhead of converting every int back to a Block).  There's some bits you don't need, of course, but that should at least help you figure out how to translate human-readable x/y/z values into the NibbleArray indexes (I had to dig into each call from world.getBlock until I had dissected all the way down to an inline array lookup).  Also be alert to the fact that I broke the 16 block volume into two 8 block volumes for my own purposes.

1Huh, I don't remember doing that (Line 151).  The hell'd I do that for?  *Fixes*

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

This is super helpful.. i dont know why your title says you're an asshole :P

's what everyone else says.  And by "everyone" I mean the 12 year olds who claim 4 years of Java experience and can't figure out why casting an Entity that's an instanceof EntityWolf to EntityPlayer crashes.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.