Rendering the game from bird's-eye view

MikaXD

I know this is not an easy question:

How can I render the game a second time from bird's-eye view as a minimap and then display the rendered scene on the screen as a minimap?

You don't have to tell me how to render it, but it would be really helpful if you could tell me where I can find the place where the game is drawn in the code.

Thanks in advance!

Try looking at how a Minecraft map draws from birds eye view.

I assume it starts from the top of the sky, and keeps going down until it hits a block. Do this for each block around the player. I am not sure about the color for each block though

Rendering from a given point is easy (this is assuming you mean in the "if the player was there" with perspective, shaders, and all that).

There's a handful of things to keep in mind (graphics settings*), but essentially you wait for a (pre or post, pick one) render tick event, then relocate the camera (you will need an entity to target), render, then switch everything back.

You render to a dynamic texture, then do whateverthefuck you want with it.

*You might want to disable particles, clouds, or other things.  Save the current value, render, then set the values back, just like the camera.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.