[1.10.2] Dude, I Went To Make A Block....

gurujive

So my goal here is to make a gold block that is transparent/ghostish/glasslike

It should have the hardness of bedrock and put off a light level all the time that is high enough that no hostile mobs can spawn on it.

Redstone must be able to be used on it.

I retextured the vanilla sea lantern and bedrock via resourcepack with a semi transparent texture and both of them come back as a gleaming solid gold block. (not transparent at all)

So I'm aware that there is some kind of trickery going on here from the get go... So I start by opening up the block class and half to 3/4ths of the stuff I see is deprecated.

So I figured I'd come here and ask what's up with this?

Also is it possible to make a solid transparent block that gives off light and can have redstone placed on it?

The idea of the block comes from the book revelation in the bible.

"having the glory of god: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal"

"and the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass."

"and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass"

"and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth"

So... a city has some form of energy (redstone in mc), transparent gold block with incredible hardness like a diamond, and it puts off so much light defiled things can't enter. (this would be used as a building block of course)

1st block... here I go.

So what is the question exactly? Why is there a lot of deprecated stuff in the Block class? Either you are not supposed to call it IE getActualBlockState(...) or it will be removed and "replaced" in the next update.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

This one too,

"Also is it possible to make a solid transparent block that gives off light and can have redstone placed on it?"

The other question was answered.

I also used a resourcepack to retexture glass with my semi transparent gold block texture and it still appears as a solid gleaming block of gold when I place it down.

The break textures are transparent and the item becomes transparent but when placed the block is solid and bright.

So how is this possible.... it doesn't work for solid or transparent type blocks....?

Is it because its gold or what?

..... this is wierd

This one too,

"Also is it possible to make a solid transparent block that gives off light and can have redstone placed on it?"

I also used a resourcepack to retexture glass with my semi transparent gold block texture and it still appears as a solid gleaming block of gold when I place it down.

The break textures are transparent and the item becomes transparent but when placed the block is solid and bright.

So how is this possible.... it doesn't work for solid or transparent type blocks....?

..... this is wierd

Extend BlockBreakable and pass false in as the second parameter. That might work, just looking at Glass code...

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

This one too,

..... this is wierd

Extend BlockBreakable and pass false in as the second parameter. That might work, just looking at Glass code...

That is not what ignoreSimilarity does, it's use is related to occlusion culling of sides.

@OP Have you overriden Block#getBlockLayer()?

So my goal here is to make a gold block that is transparent/ghostish/glasslike

It should have the hardness of bedrock and put off a light level all the time that is high enough that no hostile mobs can spawn on it.

Redstone must be able to be used on it.

1) Examine the code for at least one vanilla block for each of the qualities you want to imitate. Discover what code gives it that quality. Be aware that some graphics qualities may be in blockstates and other resource files.

2) Decide whether your new block is close enough to any of those vanilla blocks  that you can extend it. If not, then extend something more generic. Since redstone and transparency have historically been incompatible, you might indeed be better off extending from a generic.

Realize that bedrock is unbreakable. If you want your block to be tough but not impossible to break, then look at obsidian.

For light, look at glowstone. Mobs spawn at level 7 and below, so choose level 8 or above.

For semi-transparency, see glass and its resources.

That leaves redstone. There are two issues: Placing redstone on your block, and enabing your block to receive weak redstone power. Search the generic Block class's methods for mentions of redstone and then override behaviors you want to change.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

I'm having problems here from the get go:

"For semi-transparency, see glass and its resources."

I retextured vanilla glass and it is not transparent when gold and placed.

"Since redstone and transparency have historically been incompatible."

I cannot come up with an idea of one single block that has a light level that I can put redstone on... It doesn't exist and the code says, "I don't support your block idea"

So I guess that pretty much wraps up my 1st block idea... so much for that.

Was a cool idea though. Would be an epic block

Instead of retexturing a glass block, look at how a glass block became transparent in the first place. Also, how different will your block be compared to yellow glass? Maybe you can start with yellow glass and then go on to change the illumination, hardness etc.

Do not give up so easily. Unless the redstone incompatibility is in the redstone code, your mod should be straightforward. If the redstone code is hostile, then an event handler might still defeat it.

You need to explore the code and see where the decisions are being made. Then use your extensive Java knowledge to override each decision.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

I have this feeling he isn't writing java code, but trying to do this via a resource pack.

And the end result is: you can't do this with a resource pack.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements