Assets/Lang Localization Not Working

zenmogwai

My en_US.lang localization is not working.  I think it has something to do with how I set up forge or eclipse because I just started a new project and workspace.  Is there something I need to do to make eclipse or forge look for the assets in the right location when I start a new project?

I created a folder; unzipped the forge mdk; then opened a new eclipse workspace pointed at the eclipse folder.

I forgot to add that I ran gradlew setupDecompWorkspace and then gradlew eclipse as well.

Where did you put en_us.lang?

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

src\main\resources\assets\<mod>\lang

But I had to create the assets folder and I could have sworn it is normally there... maybe I'm just totally overlooking something.

Can I assume <mod> = to your modid in the @Mod annotation?

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Yes, here is the project workspace

1txbax.png

Make your modid all lower case and change the modid in the path to all lower case.

LOL well that worked thanks!  But why???  All lowercase is a requirement?

It will be in 1.11, but is not now

My suspicion was this was your @Mod(modid="modparadox"...)

but your path was assets.modParadox...

and you were naming the path after your class name (your Main Class file should be ModParadox if you follow naming convention).

It looks like the lowercase might just be coincidence.  While we were talking I had also added another item with just the most bare basic code to test.  I can now see that the problem is that the first line of my en_US.lang file is not being read for some reason.

When there was only one item in the file it didn't localize.  When I added another item, the second item localized but not the first.  If I just type garbage on the first line of the file and push everything down a line, they both localize.

It looks like the lowercase might just be coincidence.  While we were talking I had also added another item with just the most bare basic code to test.  I can now see that the problem is that the first line of my en_US.lang file is not being read for some reason.

When there was only one item in the file it didn't localize.  When I added another item, the second item localized but not the first.  If I just type garbage on the first line of the file and push everything down a line, they both localize.

Post your lang file.

It just doesn't read the first line.  This localizes nothing:

item.Wand.name=Magic Wand

This localizes Wand but not TestItem:

item.TestItem.name=Test Item

This localized Wand and TestItem:

as;lkdjas;ldkj

Minecraft uses

ResourceLocation

s to load assets, which automatically converts your mod ID to lowercase. This means that your assets folder must also be lowercase. Paths on Windows systems are case insensitive, so you may not notice this in the development environment; but paths on Unix-like OSes and in JARs are case-sensitive, so you will definitely notice it in the release environment.

It just doesn't read the first line.  This localizes nothing:

This localizes Wand but not TestItem:

This localized Wand and TestItem:

as;lkdjas;ldkj

Are you saving the file as UTF-8 with the BOM? I'm pretty sure Minecraft expects UTF-8 without the BOM.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.