First Time Modder Need Help! Should be easy to answer!

Kid_Ti

Um yes, I'm looking to modify minecraft. However, I don't understand how to reasonably see the source code to make modifications. I read up that you need the minecraft coder pack. So I tried for that, but it was outdated.. since .minecraft no longer consist of bin and resource folders. So I installed forge.. I had to use 1.5.2 because i read it a commonly used version of minecraft for modifications. Anyways, I installed forge, followed some steps. Now I have a mod folder, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to activate the minecraft coder pack. The reason being is because I have experience in programming.. but for the life of me, i can't figure this out. I know it's easy, but all the help im finding is outdated. please help please and thanks. By email or messaging here. Thank you

Email: touch_of_destruction@hotmail.com

1.5.2 is extremely outdated, it's unlikely anyone will be able to help you with it. It may have been a popular version at the time it was released, but that's no longer the case.

The current versions of Forge are for Minecraft 1.10.2 and no longer use MCP directly. This page explains how to set up a development environment for Forge.

from cpw also explains how to set up an IntelliJ IDEA project for Forge in more detail.

Once you've got the development environment set up, you can read the official documentation and follow some of these tutorials.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Sorry but I'm still lost. I followed all the way to the bottom of the page. I created .jar file, placed it in the mods. installed forge.. which you didnt tell me i would have to do that. But from looking this over already knew what to do there. choose eclipse in the cmd to be installed. I don't know what to do from there. I did everything in the first page and described.. the second page goes on about packaging. How the hell do I package if I can't even mod. Fuck sakes!

I created .jar file, placed it in the mods. installed forge.. which you didnt tell me i would have to do that.

You don't need to create a JAR or place it in the mods directory to set up a development environment. The pages I linked don't tell you to do that.

What exactly do you mean by "installed forge"? You don't really install Forge when setting up a development environment, you just download the MDK and run the Gradle commands to set up the workspace and IDE project.

But from looking this over already knew what to do there. choose eclipse in the cmd to be installed. I don't know what to do from there. I did everything in the first page and described.. the second page goes on about packaging. How the hell do I package if I can't even mod. Fuck sakes!

So you've run

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

and

gradlew eclipse

? Have you created an Eclipse workspace and imported the project that was generated?

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Sorry for the swearing. It's just I've spent 8 hours trying to set this up with no luck. Right now I just engaged gradlew and now I'm stuck at Building 56% > :decompileMc. I errored out twice, so I did what was suggest. Boost the ram.. and now it's stuck at 56%. I don't know if that means it successful and my computer is really slow or it froze. Either way, I went to .gradle and put "org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx2G" in the gradle text document I made using notepad.. and titled it. gradle.properties.. and inserted "org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx2G" as well.

:decompileMc FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:

Execution failed for task ':decompileMc'.

> GC overhead limit exceeded

Boost the ram.. and now it's stuck at 56%.

You can only boost it if your machine actually has the physical RAM to give. Instead, try cutting back that RAM setting to something safely below your machine's physical RAM. That forces Java to make do with less. It will be slow, but it can then succeed.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

You need about 1.6GB from my experience.

Let's see...I've got access to my files now...oh, much less than I remembered.  I have "org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx1134m" in here.  Mind, I had the maximum possible amount of ram for a 32 bit machine (3.25gb) and I had to close down everything else.

Fiddle with the number until you find a value that works.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Specify a different amount of ram in the gradle.properties file

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Well I have 4Gigs of ram. So there shouldn't be any trouble. Nor should being on windows 10 make a difference...

Unless Windoze has claimed 3G of your memory, which is the sort of thing that Windoze can do (and why so many power users hate it with a passion). You may need to tune some of your Windoze settings to make more memory available for applications.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Well I have 4Gigs of ram. So there shouldn't be any trouble. Nor should being on windows 10 make a difference.

I would suggest to first actually see how much memory you have available. You can look this up in the Resource Monitor (I hope it's still called that in Windows 10). Here is a nice guide that explains the elements of the Resource Monitor: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/investigate-memory-usage-with-windows-7-resource-monitor/

TL;DR: The way to access the Resource Monitor is to first go into the Windows Task Mannager (CTRL + ALT + del, or CTRL + SHIFT + ESC for a more direct approach) and under the "Performance" tab you will find the Resource Monitor button. You want to have as much memory in the free and standby category. The memory in standby is cache memory which means it can be released if needed by other processes, and the free memory is well... free to use.

I still haven't published a mod because I can never get that in-dev version just right to warrant a public release. And yes, after two years of mod development I am still learning to speak Java.

Follow me on GitHub: https://github.com/yooksi

Contact me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/yooksi

Read my Minecraft blog: https://yooksidoesminecraft.blogspot.de/