[1.10.2] Custom Config Files

opum2

I've figured out how to write to a .txt file in the config directory, but I would like to know: is it easy to make a custom config file with it's own sort of syntax? For example, a .txt file that has it's own formatting and then read the file and create something with that.

I am making a server utilities mod with a custom syntax for making certain things. I'm working on ranks and permissions configs first, but I want to make it in a custom syntax. I thought about using JSON, but I want it to be more unique.

I tried using the BufferedReader, but not really sure how that works.

I've seen other mods do this with .txt files. Just curious if there is any other efficient way to do this? I can get my code later today, but for now, I would like a bit of an explanation.

Thanks!

That is just a Java thing it has nothing to do with forge, yes BufferedReader is what you want. Though you said you wanted your own syntax you will need to figure out how to make it read that syntax correctly and convert it into variables that can be manipulated and used in Java.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Why do you want to use your own format? Is something wrong with any of the existing ones?

There's Forge's builtin configuration format (see

net.minecraftforge.common.config.Configuration

), there's JSON which can be used easily because Google's Gson is provided. There's also Typesafe's Config which is provided because Scala is present. You could also use Java's builtin properties system.

Don't make mods if you don't know Java.

Check out my website: http://shadowfacts.net

Developer of many mods

Why do you want to use your own format? Is something wrong with any of the existing ones?

There's Forge's builtin configuration format (see

net.minecraftforge.common.config.Configuration

), there's JSON which can be used easily because Google's Gson is provided. There's also Typesafe's Config which is provided because Scala is present. You could also use Java's builtin properties system.

I make Forge configs all the time. I want to make a custom one for letting people make scripts.

That is just a Java thing it has nothing to do with forge, yes BufferedReader is what you want. Though you said you wanted your own syntax you will need to figure out how to make it read that syntax correctly and convert it into variables that can be manipulated and used in Java.

I know that BufferedReader is a Java thing. Just not sure on how to use it. I want to make it read the file and then add something in game. For example, a player prefix in chat. I want people to enter a certain prefix and then it will show up in chat. I would also like to make permission groups have access to certain commands. Any ideas?

Thanks!

You do not need a custom config format for any of those things.

Do you mean the scripting? Of course he doesn't, but if he wants to it is up to him alternatives have been given.

I know that BufferedReader is a Java thing. Just not sure on how to use it. I want to make it read the file and then add something in game. For example, a player prefix in chat. I want people to enter a certain prefix and then it will show up in chat. I would also like to make permission groups have access to certain commands. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The prefix is a normal minecraft thing you would handle that the same way it does, if you dont know how it does that look here

Changing the players permission level has to do with ICommandSender implementation which i do not know how the player interprets the level so look into that.

For the reading and having something happen in game i would set tags like in Json look for those then there would be a string or number that you load for that tag ie

"ranks" {
     "owner" {
          "permLevel": 5,
          "prefix": "Owner"
     }
}

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Do you mean the scripting?
No, I mean what he described in his previous post.

How would you recommend him doing it?

How would you recommend him doing it?
Simply using the forge configuration class.

Yes that would work. I don't know the specifics of which would be better, but Configuration provided by forge is easy to use, it is already there, and so far accomplishes everything he wants to do. So I would leave the decision up to him it all comes down to taking the already present way or him making his own.