[SOLVED] How to store multiple values with a single capability?

Daeruin

I am currently using capabilities to store a simple thirst value for the player. I would like to start storing more data, like a set of booleans, for the player. I'm not sure how to go about it. All of the examples of capabilities I've seen only store a single value, like a single float or boolean. Can I use the same capability (interface, implementation, storage, provider) to store multiple values? How? I've been searching for a while now, but haven't come up with anything.

Oh, right... I remember seeing that somewhere before. Can anyone point me to some good examples? Or explain how it's done? I have yet to find a decent tutorial on NBT tags. The few things I have that use NBT were created by looking at examples, but that never gives the whole picture.

Think of NBT as a file system. You have folders which are NBTTagCompounds and NBTTagLists. Then you have individual files which are the individual save elements like NBTTagDouble. And each had a file name. Calling NBTTagCompound#setDouble(fileName, value)

Creates the file under the folder and has the file name as its identifier.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Thank you, that was very helpful! I put my set of boolean values in an array, then in my capability's storage class I iterated through the array to save each value using NBTTagCompound#setBoolean. Very slick, once I figured it out. It took me a bit longer to figure out how to get the values out. I was trying it with a single boolean value at first, and apparently there is no getBoolean method available from NBTBase or NBTPrimitive. Once I put everything into the compound, I was able to use NBTTagCompound#getBoolean.

For those reading this later, I found this reference helpful:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs2110/2014fa/L04-Hierarchy_static/mcp_doc/net/minecraft/src/NBTTagCompound.html

• 4 months later...
On 1/7/2017 at 5:25 PM, Daeruin said:

Thank you, that was very helpful! I put my set of boolean values in an array, then in my capability's storage class I iterated through the array to save each value using NBTTagCompound#setBoolean. Very slick, once I figured it out. It took me a bit longer to figure out how to get the values out. I was trying it with a single boolean value at first, and apparently there is no getBoolean method available from NBTBase or NBTPrimitive. Once I put everything into the compound, I was able to use NBTTagCompound#getBoolean.

For those reading this later, I found this reference helpful:

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs2110/2014fa/L04-Hierarchy_static/mcp_doc/net/minecraft/src/NBTTagCompound.html

Did you achieve this with the default IStorage methods that use NBTBase as a return type or did you have to create new methods that use NBTTagCompounds?

I did an override of the default methods that return an NBTBase. That seemed to handle the NBTTagCompounds just fine. Example:

@Override
public NBTBase writeNBT(Capability<ICapability> capability, ICapability instance, EnumFacing side)
{
	NBTTagCompound tag = new NBTTagCompound();

<use tag.setBoolean, or tag.setDouble, etc., to write whatever data you need to the NBTTagCompound>

return tag;
}

Edited by Daeruin
Clarify that I used an override
  • Like 1