Very New to mc modding, want to create a very basic mod.

Bluethefox

I had an idea for a very complex mod which i quickly realized was way to complex for my current skill level, as i cannot even figure out how to structure my mod in eclipse so that when i press play, my mod loads in the minecraft test client thing.

dont get me wrong, i can learn coding very quickly and already know kindof how java works. but I just cant seem to figure out how to structure my mod for adding blocks.

I already sucessfully did this, but then was told that i shouldnt use the tutorial i was using due to being outdated. i was using mr.crayfish's 1.7.10 tuts. I dont even want to make a mod for more recent versions of mc cause i've heard 1.7.10 is the best for modding.

Edited by Bluethefox

I already tried that with no sucess. the wording is confusing for me. Im a very visual learner, so if you could link a tutorial that shows a picture of the ideal structure that would be wonderful. :)

EDIT: this is how far i can go before getting really confused.

Heres a pic.

Edited by Bluethefox

close the eclipse. there's a gradle task that will create an eclipse project for you. you didn't run it, it seems.

once you do, open eclipse and point it to a proper directory. you'll have examplemod class. click inside the code editor and click "run" button. the game should start. never mind the game now, look at the console. there should be a line saying "dirt"; that's what the mod does. not much, but at least you know you're set up fine.

setup should be simple: run the forge setup jar, run gradlew setupDecompWorkspace, run gradlew eclipse

Many modders here have posted pointers to mod source code at github. Google is your friend -- some simple searches (minecraft + forge  + mod + github)  should reveal many examples of mods. The  Grey Ghost's Minecraft By Example might also be a good place to start.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

47 minutes ago, Leomelonseeds said:

Also try googlesearching Bedrockminer's tutorials. I know they are for 1.8, but they are still useful for starting a mod. 

No, they are not. There are majour issues with at least 10 of the 15 tutorials; Most stemming from becoming obsolete in newer versions.
All item/block related tutorials have become completely obsolete. Minecraft::register usage, nothing about RegistryNames, substringing unlocalizedName, nothing about RegistryEvents, hell, his tutorials use GameRegistry#registerItem!

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

Small nice example of some basics. The forge docs and this should be enough to get you started. Go over it repeatedly until you for the most part know what it does and how it works.

Don't copy and paste the code into your own mod, typing the code will help the understanding process. (edit: Just noticed, the code presented is not a complete mod, just shows how to register items/blocks, so copying/pasting wouldn't work anyway. So, in addition to the link, also check the MDKs example mod for how to organize your mod structure and how to make the base mod class)

Honestly, until you sort of know the basics, all the outdated tutorials out there will tell you how to do everything the wrong way. Once you've gotten your feet wet, you should be able to use old tutorials, and either know when things are wrong, or how to update them to the current version.

Don't mod for 1.7.10, you won't get any help here, use the latest version.

Edited by Ugdhar

On 4/10/2017 at 8:56 PM, Matryoshika said:

No, they are not.

Well I was just talking about the setting up of the mod, not the registry part, that is completely outdated...

I also like the post that Ugdar suggested, it is very good. Follow Kriptikz way of doing things.

Apparently I'm addicted to these forums and can't help but read all the posts. So if I somehow help you, please click the "Like This" button, it helps.