[1.12] Can not register to a locked registry

Chuckinator

No. No, no, no.

You say you know Java. I don't think you do.

We tell you to call the getRegistry method on an instance of RegisterEvent.Register. So you need to look around and see if there's an instance which you can use. Hint: it's the single parameter in the method. Then you need to call the getRegistry method on that specific instance. And apparently, that's too hard for you.

You have a perfectly fine, working method commented out at the bottom of your Main class. Uncomment that and put it in a class annotated by @Mod.EventBusSubscriber.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

IF YOU STOPPED INSULTING ME MAYBE THIS WOULD GO FASTER

Look I do know java but i dont work with this type of stuff. I know I dont know as much as you THATS WHY WE ARE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION. I am asking for help with the basics so that I can expand on it...

Now...

Going back on topic...

I uncommented the code at the bottom of the class and annotated it with @Mod.EventBusSubscriber. it says that @ Mod... is not applicable to method.

58 minutes ago, larsgerrits said:

Uncomment that and put it in a class annotated by @Mod.EventBusSubscriber.

IF YOU STOPPED INSULTING ME

I'm not insulting you, I'm just stating the obvious...

Edited by larsgerrits
  • Like 1

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

42 minutes ago, larsgerrits said:

I'm not insulting you, I'm just stating the obvious...

Its people like you, you are the reason their are so few actual programming minecraft modders.

Noww....

I did what you said and now i have a crash report that says Can not register to a locked registry. Modder should use forge Register methods.

Here is the crash report and main file.

Main.java

crash-2017-07-06_19.38.25-client.txt

The thing is is that we have told you multiple times what you need to do, but you keep doing things that don't make sense in java and/or refuse to do what we tell you to do.

For example, you're still trying to call Item.registerItems, even though I told you that this was reserved for minecraft's items and you should never ever ever call this yourself, and you should not even have it imported. This is what is resulting in your crash.

Example two, you still haven't made your registry method static.

Also, you need to annotate the method with SubscribeEvent, else the method won't be called (you should also not be calling it manually, in case you were thinking you should). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That_Martin_Guy said:

The thing is is that we have told you multiple times what you need to do, but you keep doing things that don't make sense in java and/or refuse to do what we tell you to do.

For example, you're still trying to call Item.registerItems, even though I told you that this was reserved for minecraft's items and you should never ever ever call this yourself, and you should not even have it imported. This is what is resulting in your crash.

Also, you need to annotate the method with SubscribeEvent, else the method won't be called (you should also not be calling it manually, in case you were thinking you should). 

The things is WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN 2 PEOPLE ARE TELLING 2 DIFFERENT THINGS

6 minutes ago, That_Martin_Guy said:

1. I dont have Item.registerItems imported.

2.I get errors when I make my registry method static.

3.I get errors when I annotate the method.

3 minutes ago, Chuckinator said:

1. I dont have Item.registerItems imported

import static net.minecraft.item.Item.registerItems;
@EventHandler
            public void init(FMLInitializationEvent e){
                registerItems();
                //RegistryEvent.Register.getRegistry(FLASH_SWORD);
            }

7 minutes ago, Chuckinator said:

2.I get errors when I make my registry method static

Do you get them when you call registerItems manually?

8 minutes ago, Chuckinator said:

3.I get errors when I annotate the method

You sure you're creating it correctly? Because I spawn in an item perfectly well with this code

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = Reference.MOD_ID)
    public static class Test
    {
        public static Item testItem;
        @SubscribeEvent
        public static void registerItems(RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event)
        {
            event.getRegistry().register(testItem = new Item().setUnlocalizedName("test").setRegistryName("test"));
        }
    }

Even though it's not at all how I would do it in one of my actual mods, it does work.

Remember when I said

43 minutes ago, That_Martin_Guy said:

(you should also not be calling it manually, in case you were thinking you should)

? You need to take things more slowly. The entire point of annotating the method is so that it will be called automatically by forge. You never need to call any method that is annotated by SubscribeEvent, it is done automatically at the appropriate time for you.

Also, maybe this should've been mentioned earlier, but you should really check out mcforge.readthedocs.io.

Edited by That_Martin_Guy

6 minutes ago, Chuckinator said:

Is their one whole file with all of the forge docs so I dont have to be online all day

You can download it from GitHub

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/Documentation

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.