[SOLVED] How to place an item as a different block?

Mister_

I have an item, "diamond reeds", that I want to place as the block "diamond reed", which is a separate class and a separate registered block. What I tried to do is have the constructor for diamond reeds the item take a block:

public ItemDiamondReed(Block block)
    {
        setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabMaterials);
        setMaxStackSize(1);
        setMaxDamage(0);
        this.block = block;
    }

Then have an event handler for the item that on item use places the block (straight out of the code for sugarcane item):

Spoiler

public boolean onItemUse(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer playerIn, World worldIn, BlockPos pos, EnumFacing side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ)
    {
        IBlockState iblockstate = worldIn.getBlockState(pos);
        Block block = iblockstate.getBlock();

if (block == Blocks.snow_layer && ((Integer)iblockstate.getValue(BlockSnow.LAYERS)).intValue() < 1)
        {
            side = EnumFacing.UP;
        }
        else if (!block.isReplaceable(worldIn, pos))
        {
            pos = pos.offset(side);
        }

if (!playerIn.canPlayerEdit(pos, side, stack))
        {
            return false;
        }
        else if (stack.stackSize == 0)
        {
            return false;
        }
        else
        {
            if (worldIn.canBlockBePlaced(this.block, pos, false, side, (Entity)null, stack))
            {
                IBlockState iblockstate1 = this.block.onBlockPlaced(worldIn, pos, side, hitX, hitY, hitZ, 0, playerIn);

if (worldIn.setBlockState(pos, iblockstate1, 3))
                {
                    iblockstate1 = worldIn.getBlockState(pos);

if (iblockstate1.getBlock() == this.block)
                    {
                        ItemBlock.setTileEntityNBT(worldIn, playerIn, pos, stack);
                        iblockstate1.getBlock().onBlockPlacedBy(worldIn, pos, iblockstate1, playerIn, stack);
                    }

worldIn.playSoundEffect((double)((float)pos.getX() + 0.5F), (double)((float)pos.getY() + 0.5F), (double)((float)pos.getZ() + 0.5F), this.block.stepSound.getPlaceSound(), (this.block.stepSound.getVolume() + 1.0F) / 2.0F, this.block.stepSound.getFrequency() * 0.8F);
                    --stack.stackSize;
                    return true;
                }
            }

return false;
        }
    }

Then, in the ItemInit class, define it like so:

diamond_reeds = (new ItemDiamondReed(new BlockDiamondReed())).setUnlocalizedName("diamond_reeds").setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabMaterials);

And it works, the item shows up. But, when I try to place it, it simply doesn't do anything. It doesn't place the block. The block works fine, and if I manually give myself the block I can place it. But  the item doesn't place it. Upon some debugging, I've found the problem is in the following two lines:

IBlockState iblockstate1 = this.block.onBlockPlaced(worldIn, pos, side, hitX, hitY, hitZ, 0, playerIn);

if (worldIn.setBlockState(pos, iblockstate1, 3))
                {

It doesn't error, the if statement just always returns false. Does anyone know why?

Edited by Mister_

1 minute ago, Mister_ said:

I have an item, "diamond reeds", that I want to place as the block "diamond reed", which is a separate class and a separate registered block. What I tried to do is have the constructor for diamond reeds the item take a block:

Why are they separate registries? Do you already have a Item that places it down? If not you could make them the same.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Have you looked at how reeds, doors, cakes, redstone dust, and so on work? 

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

2 minutes ago, Mister_ said:

@Draco18s All this code is copied pretty much straight from BlockReed and ItemReed's code. 

This would be why it doesn't work. you don't pass it your registered block.

10 minutes ago, Mister_ said:

new BlockDiamondReed()

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Just now, Animefan8888 said:

This would be why it doesn't work. you don't pass it your registered block.

Not straight copied, just the funcationality is copied. In the ItemInit I do pass it my block:

diamond_reeds = (new ItemDiamondReed(new BlockDiamondReed())).setUnlocalizedName("diamond_reeds").setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabMaterials);

And then I register diamond_reeds.

Not straight copied, just the funcationality is copied. In the ItemInit I do pass it my block:

And then I register diamond_reeds.

Do you ever register the BlockDiamondReed that you pass into the ItemDiamondReed constructor?

Just now, Mister_ said:

Yes. It works as a block perfectly if I manually give myself it. 

Could you show me where you register it?

Could you show me where you register it?

The methods in my InitBlocks class:

public static Block remote_explosive;
    public static Block diamond_reed;
    public static void init() {
    	diamond_reed=(new BlockDiamondReed()).setHardness(0.0F).setUnlocalizedName("diamond_reed");
    }
    public static void register() {
    	GameRegistry.registerBlock(diamond_reed, diamond_reed.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
    }
    public static void registerRenders() {
    	registerRender(diamond_reed);
    }
    public static void registerRender(Block block) {
    	Item item=Item.getItemFromBlock(block);
		Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(Reference.MOD_ID + ":" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5), "inventory"));

}

Then in my main mod class:

@EventHandler
	public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
		InitItems.init();
		InitItems.register();
		InitBlocks.init();
		InitBlocks.register();
		EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityMagic.class, "Magic", 0, this, 64, 10, true);
	}
	@EventHandler
	public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event) {
		proxy.registerRenders();
	}
	@EventHandler
	public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event) {
		MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new EventHandlerCommon());

}

Since when does 

diamond_reed=(new BlockDiamondReed()).setHardness(0.0F).setUnlocalizedName("diamond_reed");

equal

6 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

new BlockDiamondReed()

same.png

These are not the same object.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

3 minutes ago, Mister_ said:

I'm... an idiot. Thank you. Solved.

Though back to my initial question, why do you want them to be separate in the registry? You can just make it a normal one and change the appearance in the JSON file for the Item.

Though back to my initial question, why do you want them to be separate in the registry? You can just make it a normal one and change the appearance in the JSON file for the Item.

The item, on it's own, has special properties when shift clicked in your inventory. You can't do that if it's a block.

6 hours ago, Mister_ said:

The item, on it's own, has special properties when shift clicked in your inventory. You can't do that if it's a block.

You can if you extend ItemBlock and register an instance of that class. You don't have to use ItemBlock directly.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.