Registering Server-Only Entity [1.12]

Shynixn

Hi, hopefully someone can help me out with this. 

Situation:

I'm trying to spawn a modified version of an existing Entity (in this case a Rabbit) with simple server-only modifications like Pathfinder etc.

First, I have managed to register it successfully on a SpongeVanilla server (this question has nothing todo with Sponge) via mcp at the EntityList class, the rabbit is visible at the client and everything is working.

Second, now I also want it to spawn on a SpongeForge server, however the field where entities are registered is gone and I cannot register it the same way. (Probably patched somewhere else by Forge)

Question:

How can I register my entity, the CustomRabbit.class, on a Forge server, so that the client sees a ordinary rabbit? It's currently not rendered. 

What I have tried:

1. Manually registering the entity

final RegistryNamespaced<ResourceLocation, Class<? extends Entity>> registry = EntityList.REGISTRY;

Results in a NoSuchFieldException.

2. Using the forge EntityRegistry on startup

EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(new ResourceLocation("mymodid", "CustomRabbit"), CustomRabbit.class, "CustomRabbit",1, myModInstance, 50, 20, true);

Results in an error message when the client tries to connect to the server? "Fatally missing registry entries."

You shouldn't.

Read this for issues with server only entities: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/issues/4870

However, you're slightly trying to do something different.

You want to have your entity pretend to be something different on the client.

That.. is actually a semi-plausible idea.

Have you tried NOT registering your entity and just having it extend EntityRabbit? Does the Entity Registry do any form of hierarchy mapping {Getting the Rabbit entry for subclasses of Rabit that don't have mappings}...

That may be something to look into.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

32 minutes ago, LexManos said:

You shouldn't.

Read this for issues with server only entities: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/issues/4870

However, you're slightly trying to do something different.

You want to have your entity pretend to be something different on the client.

That.. is actually a semi-plausible idea.

Have you tried NOT registering your entity and just having it extend EntityRabbit? Does the Entity Registry do any form of hierarchy mapping {Getting the Rabbit entry for subclasses of Rabit that don't have mappings}...

That may be something to look into.

Thanks for the issue link, that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. (haven't read all of it yet) Well actually I don't want to have some fancy server-only forge entities but use my server entity on a SpongeForge server like on my SpongeVanilla server. (without writing a client mod)

I have tried spawning the entity without registering it however as I said the entity does not get rendered at all. 

Edited by Shynixn

Hm.... when registering my entity on a SpongeVanilla server, I have accessed the field in line 7 which gets replaced by Forge.

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/1.12.x/patches/minecraft/net/minecraft/entity/EntityList.java.patch

Ok, I can see that the Forge EntityRegistry is actually called via static methods so registering it there would be the correct choice. However as I mentioned before this results into  "Fatally missing registry entries." message.

You shouldn't be accessing that line at all. Use the registry registration events like you're supposed to.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I'd like to suggest an alternate approach. I think what you're asking to do is to modify a vanilla rabbit's behavior without requiring the client to install a specific mod. If so, in that case I think you can simply spawn regular rabbits (no need to register a new type). Instead you just replace the AI task lists for the vanilla rabbits whenever they join the world by handling the join world event, checking for instanceof EntityRabbit and if true then simply change the AI task lists. The AI task lists are public fields so you're allowed to access them directly.

Would that do what you want to do? Or otherwise be more specific about what you want to change about the vanilla rabbit as there may be server-side hooks that are easier than fully replacing rabbits in the registry.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, jabelar said:

I'd like to suggest an alternate approach. I think what you're asking to do is to modify a vanilla rabbit's behavior without requiring the client to install a specific mod. If so, in that case I think you can simply spawn regular rabbits (no need to register a new type). Instead you just replace the AI task lists for the vanilla rabbits whenever they join the world by handling the join world event, checking for instanceof EntityRabbit and if true then simply change the AI task lists. The AI task lists are public fields so you're allowed to access them directly.

Would that do what you want to do? Or otherwise be more specific about what you want to change about the vanilla rabbit as there may be server-side hooks that are easier than fully replacing rabbits in the registry.

Thanks for your idea, this seems to be a good approach, however it just doesn't fit my use case as I simply want to register my mcp entity on a Forge Server like on a SpongeVanilla server. I want to avoid creating a large new AI layer and only register it as serverside entity. The entity works in general, I have already testet that and I only want to register it now as some clients have troubles (not mine) dealing with the "unknown" entity. 

I think I'll try to recreate the entity with 1.11 or 1.10 and check if the client shows "Fatally missing registry entries.".