Naming My Mod

Dartania

No, I'm not looking for suggestions for names.  I've already got a solid foundation on what words I want to use.  I'm trying to figure out what I should use for the name and id of the mod, the registry and language key for my items, the domains, etc.

My pen name is Dartania Thorne.  I'm planning on releasing several mods, like Pam has done.  (Pam's HarvestCraft, Pam's SimpleHarvest, etc)  But I don't really like the length that she has on her mod names.  The mod Series will be called ThorneCraft.  And ThorneCraft is likely going to be the name of any modpack/server/youtube series I do if I do that.

If I end up making a library to be used by all my mods, it will be ThorneCraftLib, or something like that.

I'm also making a Lua ComputerCraft API/Program bundle called ThorneCC (Thorne ComputerCraft), but it is somewhat unrelated to my mods.

The mod I'm currently working on, I was originally going to call Thorne Potions or ThorneCraft Potions.  I've decided on Apothecary, since there is not already a popular 1.12 mod called Apothecary and it is far more unique and aesthetically pleasing on the tongue.

Unfortunately, I do not control a domain called ThorneCraft.com or anything, so following that package naming structure is a bit out of reach for me.  Though I am using thornecraft.potions.items and the like for package names.  I was thinking of just shortening the mod id completely from 'com.thornecraft.potions' down to just 'apothecary'.

But naming items and resources and such has gotten a little bit out of hand.  My item ended up showing the tooltip "thornecraft_potions:apothecary_wool_of_bat".  Which is crazy long.  And mixes 'potions' and 'apothecary' in one string.  And I just...

This is my first mod.  I was so excited when I managed to get a single item to show up in the creative tab, even though it had a purple-and-black missing-texture thing and no name.  Even more excited when I actually got it to show the name and the texture and make it the right size and everything.  I don't want to get 10000 lines in and realize I need to change all the names in my code.  I'd rather change all the names now on the one item I've got in.

So can anyone help me figure out what I need to name everything?

As a secondary question, does anyone know if I can develop two separate mods in the same folder and test-run them at the same time but have them build separately?

46 minutes ago, Dartania said:

So can anyone help me figure out what I need to name everything? 

Decide on a modid I recommend thornecraft-potions as the modid, or thcpotions or some variant. Then your unlocalized name should be equal to your items getRegistryName().toString(). While your registry name should be just the name of your item. It will be appended by your modid automatically if you have done everything right with your Item creation.

46 minutes ago, Dartania said:

As a secondary question, does anyone know if I can develop two separate mods in the same folder and test-run them at the same time but have them build separately?

Yes you can, you will probably have to set up your environment a little differently. What I do is make a folder and this is where all of my mods code will be and then create a new project in eclipse in that folder and import the forge project. This way each of your mods will have their own java project and the forge project will be un-edited. There is two more steps to this process however. After importing the forge project into the workspace you need to configure its build path so that it exports all of its libraries etc. And then you need to configure your projects build path and add the forge project to it.

If this wasn't clear enough please ask specific questions.

Edited by Animefan8888

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Also, mod IDs can be up to 64 characters in length.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.