Developing mod, questions

arawra

Sorry for the generic title, but I have many questions to throw out as this is the first time I'll be working with forge and the API.

The mod I'd like to design will have arbitrary roles assigned to players that persist, with events that should occur based on those roles. So far from what I have seen I'll need to implement a storage handler, capability, and event handlers.

When is the appropriate time to read, mark dirty, and write data?
While I can attach the capability to a player for custom classes to save that data, I am not sure where to find appropriate documentation for the player entity or other classes. Where can I find this?
If I have an event that fires, how can I determine if that data needs to be sent to or from the client and server?

E: v1.14.4 

Edited by arawra

18 minutes ago, arawra said:

read, mark dirty, and write data?

With capabilities there is no mark dirty and the data is written and read when the object in question is written and read.

20 minutes ago, arawra said:

how can I determine if that data needs to be sent to or from the client and server?

If the event fires only on the server and the client needs to know about the data change send the info. The only information the client should ever have to send to the server is hey I'm using this input because otherwise cheaty behavior can happen.

22 minutes ago, arawra said:

I am not sure where to find appropriate documentation for the player entity or other classes.

Look at the classes in question. 1.14 is still partially obfuscated I think. So not all classes will have proper method names or field names etc. And only some methods will have javadocs. You can check out the forge documentation website for info on specific things that have been documented there like capabilities and events.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

42 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

If the event fires only on the server and the client needs to know about the data change send the info.

One of the things I plan on doing is doing extra block damage. Because the block should be destroyed faster, would I need to send the block destruction event back to the client as it would effectively be desynced?

E: Found the BreakSpeed event, and it looks like I only need to do...

event.setNewSpeed(event.getOriginalSpeed() + value);

How do I determine if the client needs this information?

Edited by arawra

14 hours ago, arawra said:

How do I determine if the client needs this information?

In testing it should become apparent, but you can log something to the console and it will say what side it is on.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.