How can I update my mod from an earlier version.

Stanlyhalo

So I've been making a mod in 1.14.2, but I was wondering how would I update it to 1.15.2, would I probably set up a new project and setup 1.15.2 forge, but how do I update all my stuff? Also, a side question if it's possible to answer, I noticed that now block drops are in JSON and it's different to code events, but why did they move away from having a separate java class file for each block (I kinda liked it better like that)?

Just now, Stanlyhalo said:

but why did they move away from having a separate java class file for each block (I kinda liked it better like that)?

I mean  you can still do it that way it's just bad practice.

1 minute ago, Stanlyhalo said:

I noticed that now block drops are in JSON

It was like this in 1.14 too.

1 minute ago, Stanlyhalo said:

but how do I update all my stuff?

Copy source code. Fix compilation errors.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

• 1 month later...

I'm just gonna remake it in 1.15.2, and update it from there when new versions come out, also I hate how they have moved a lot more things over to JSON, I know how JSON works, but I would have more flexibility if it was in Java because I can then do events, or some special action.

5 hours ago, Stanlyhalo said:

I'm just gonna remake it in 1.15.2, and update it from there when new versions come out, also I hate how they have moved a lot more things over to JSON, I know how JSON works, but I would have more flexibility if it was in Java because I can then do events, or some special action.

The whole system is moving towards data packs, so what can be done in json should be done in json.

You can still do anything you can do with Java with json.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:36 AM, Stanlyhalo said:

So I've been making a mod in 1.14.2, but I was wondering how would I update it to 1.15.2, would I probably set up a new project and setup 1.15.2 forge, but how do I update all my stuff? Also, a side question if it's possible to answer, I noticed that now block drops are in JSON and it's different to code events, but why did they move away from having a separate java class file for each block (I kinda liked it better like that)?

These links are really useful for updating from 1.12.2 to 1.15.2

https://gist.github.com/williewillus/353c872bcf1a6ace9921189f6100d09a

https://gist.github.com/williewillus/30d7e3f775fe93c503bddf054ef3f93e

You might find this example project helpful too.

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

-TGG