General Help With Modding

IronCrystal

Hey all,

I'm a developer from Bukkit/Spout who wanted to try out Forge, and I had a few questions.

First of all, how do you get a living entity that is in your line of sight? (in your target)  I was able to do it in bukkit by getting all the blocks in the line of sight and all the nearby entities in a range, and determining if the entities are within one block of the line of sight.  I found the player.getLookVec(), but I'm not sure if that's what I want.  Additionally, I found worldObj.getEntitiesAABB or soemthing like that, but I'm not sure how to use that at all.

Also, how do you move blocks such as I have seen where some mods pick up and move blocks (ex: Tornado mod, portal mod)

Finally, how do you make a block always face you when you place it?  I know it has to do with meta-data, but when I did it it doesn't seem to do anything, so I probably missed something.

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me/point me to a tutorial on how to generate structures in the world?  I know how to do ores, but was hoping to do structures as well.

Thanks

-IronCrystal

Hey there, welcome to forge, hope you wont be leaving soon

client side:

Minecraft.getMinecraft().objectMouseOver

this contains whatever the player is pointing at

(oh btw i shouldnt told you, here in forge you have to deal with client/server side, but the advantage are worth it)

2 how to move blocks, well for the tornado i can imagine that the tornado itself is an "entity" (which btw with forge you can create your own) i guess it has a random chance to set a block to air and "pick up" the block (using entity rendering, you would render the block floating in the air but it probably wouldnt be collidable)

3 honestly the tutorial about metadata is pretty complete, try to play around with it and you should figure it out easy

ps: the tutorial will teach you a lot. try to look there first if you have a question because usually you can find the answer

-hydroflame, FRev-

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-