Remove downcast from integer to byte on ItemEmptyMap

Draco18s

ItemEmptyMap line 29:

mapdata.dimension = (byte)par2World.provider.dimensionId;

MapData#dimension is already declared as an integer.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Meaning there's a downcast on the dimension ID sent between the server and client?  Or that a full integer would exceed the maximum packet size?  Or...?

Kind of reeks of "why is this value even stored as an integer in the first place, if it's going to be constantly downcast to a byte?"  :\

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

And yes, im pretty sure it's sent as a byte over the network.

So strip that downcast too? O.o

And then the other end of things would need a "readInt" instead of a "readByte"

And then destroy compatibility with ANYTHING that reads network packets?

Seriously guys, it's not jsut a matter of 'strip that downcast'

These types of changes have a LOT of implications and compatibility issues with things that are outside of our control.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

And then destroy compatibility with ANYTHING that reads network packets?

Of course...

Maybe this will be possible in 1.7 due to the rework of the networking code?

Doubtful, the folks monitoring the Mojang bug tracker are refusing to recognize it as a legitimate bug.