Forge Api

Techcable

People claim forge is an API but I really don't thinks so. All it does is manage the conflicting parts of minecraft to really do anything you must reach into the minecraft source. I propose that we make an actual API that encapsulates the minecraft source code, much like bukkit. The difference in my mind between forge and bukkit is that with forge the majority of the burden is on the bukkit team while with forge the majority of the burden is on the modders. I absolutely adore forge, but one of the problems is incompatibility between mods and minecraft versions. with bukkit there are three layers: NMS, craftbukkit and bukkit with craftbukkit implementing bukkit. I propose that we take a similar approach and create a real API that modders can use without touching minecraft. There are 100s of dead mods out there and 100s of dead plugins, funny thing is, most of the plugins still function. I would be willing to help with this new API if implemented.

Long Live Forge!

On the other hand, when Minecraft updates, Bukkit takes a year and a half to update all their stuff so that mods are functional with the new version....

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

People claim forge is an API but I really don't thinks so. All it does is manage the conflicting parts of minecraft to really do anything you must reach into the minecraft source. I propose that we make an actual API that encapsulates the minecraft source code, much like bukkit.

Lets first off start by saying, that your definition of 'API' is wrong, or, more specifically narrow.

Bukkit is a Abstraction Layer

Forge is Compatibility Layer {Amungst other things}

Forge and Bukkit are both APIs.

The difference in my mind between forge and bukkit is that with forge the majority of the burden is on the bukkit team while with forge the majority of the burden is on the modders.

Hehehehe.. give me a second.. I need to compose myself ;) hehehe

I absolutely adore forge, but one of the problems is incompatibility between mods and minecraft versions. with bukkit there are three layers: NMS, craftbukkit and bukkit with craftbukkit implementing bukkit. I propose that we take a similar approach and create a real API that modders can use without touching minecraft. There are 100s of dead mods out there and 100s of dead plugins, funny thing is, most of the plugins still function. I would be willing to help with this new API if implemented.

Why re-implement something that already exists? If you want a bukkit plugin, go use bukkit...

Forge and bukkit have two completely different design philosophies. And, because of that, 1) they can live together {see: MCPC} and 2) You can do things in one that you cannot do in another.

Yes, we could start writing a abstraction layer like you want, but we're not going to.

Bukkit exists, and the next major system like that should come out is the official one, throwing our hat into that is a futile effort and will just fracture the community more.

As for dead mods vs dead plugins... there is nothing wrong with dead mods. Mods die, people move on, typically better mods are produced. And hell if you REALLY want to play a older mod you still can. There is nothing stopping you from loading up a old version of MC and going to town.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon