Contributing to Forge - How to create a test Forge jar / installer?

StellaArtois

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to contribute to Forge, and I've followed the readme to get a development environment setup. This is all fine and up and running - and was very easy. Great work!  :)

However, I'm now looking to build and test my changes. I can run up the changes in the development environment again without issue. However I do not know where to start as to how to generate a built jar and test installer, so I can install and test my modified Forge in anger on a clean Minecraft install.

I'm assuming I can use the Forge Installer for this here, however there is no readme file for this. Are there any obvious instructions I'm missing for this? How can I build and test my modified Forge via installer?

I'd say build a local Forge version, eventually remove the part for maven deploy from your "build.gradle" file.

Then install your Forge version manually, by placing into .minecraft/libraries/net/minecraftforge/...

If you edited the version number, you'll have to edit or create a profile into the .minecraft/versions/ folder.

If you really want to make an installer too, then you'd need a remote repository for your build.

I'd say build a local Forge version, eventually remove the part for maven deploy from your "build.gradle" file.

Then install your Forge version manually, by placing into .minecraft/libraries/net/minecraftforge/...

If you edited the version number, you'll have to edit or create a profile into the .minecraft/versions/ folder.

If you really want to make an installer too, then you'd need a remote repository for your build.

Ok, makes sense, thank-you. Are there any particular build.gradle commands I need to be aware of for the Installer project?