[1.7.10] Packet Won't Send To Server

Izzy Axel

I'm trying to send a packet from my test GUI button to the server to make an explosion, but no matter what I do, the function is always being run on clientproxy, which is odd because I followed the same process I used to do it elsewhere.  I did try moving the sending to an item right click so it could be wrapped with world.isRemote easily, but that didn't help.  Pretty sure I missed something simple, but I'm not seeing it.

Main

GUI

commonProxy

serverProxy

clientProxy

Maybe I would if you actually tried to help people learn instead of vomiting abstract concepts the person you're talking to probably won't understand by virtue of having to ask the question in the first place...and then insulting them when they don't understand it.

Modding for Minecraft is absurdly confusing, there's 20 completely different ways to do any particular thing and everyone has a different idea of how they should be done.  Tutorials tend to be horribly written and difficult to follow, with no real explanation, or an explanation written entirely in abstractions that might as well read "Look at how smart I am!" that has no content someone at the skill level the tutorial is aimed at would understand.  When you're still learning, the "correct way" to do something is completely nebulous thanks to this, unless you ask someone who already knows it...which is where we are now.  We ask because we DON'T KNOW.

I thought I understood what proxies do, but I guess I don't, and I guess I never will, because nobody is explaining them, and all the tutorials I've read about proxies aren't telling me why what I did is wrong, and what proxies are "really for" in this situation, if not for sided functions with packets.  All I know is what I just did worked.  It's not crashing, it's not interfering with other mods, it's not making the game lag.  There has to be a real reason why whatever it is you want me to do is right and should replace what I did.  That's what you should be telling me, why it's wrong and how to fix it so I can learn from it, not "I don't think you understand what you're doing here".  That's not helping anyone, that's being a dick, it's discouraging people from learning, it's pushing people away, it's hurting the community.

I'm trying to send a packet from my test GUI button to the server to make an explosion.

To note few facts:

1. You send packet from client to server, you don't have to use any kind of checks, proxies, if statements, because you KNOW that receiver IS server.

2. After receiving msg on server you can pull player instance from msg context to know who send message.

3. What you are after can be executed directly in handler (in 1.7.10) - I don't think making !isRemote is even necessary (maybe). In 1.8 it will look differently (you will need Runnable, but that is note for future updating).

As to proxies - yes, they are totally useless here.

P.S i might be missing the point of problem in question.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

First, packets don't have anything to do with proxies-- use packets to send a message from the client(user) to the server(what actually handles minecraft). Stop whining about how no one tells you anything and just tells you what you're doing wrong. If they tell you something, TRY to learn it, stop giving up. In your case, make a packet handler and send a packet saying, "hey, user wants to make an explosion" from the gui to minecraft so minecraft makes an explosion.

Creator of the MyFit, MagiCraft, Tesseract gun, and Papa's Wingeria mod.