MC 1.10+ colored lights!

winnetrie

IIRC you have to basically rewrite the whole lighting engine.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

IIRC you have to basically rewrite the whole lighting engine.

Technically, no.

You should be able to "fake" colored light with a block with wanted vanilla light-amount, and access to the Tessellator.

I had some fun with a TESR a week or two ago that faked a "star", 'shining' a soft diffused light to it's surroundings, and fading the further away it went. If the block of the corresponding tile's TESR had a light-value > 0, it could have been seen as what the OP seems to want.

Horribly expensive on rendering, but still do-able without rewriting the engine.

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

There was a guy a while back, and spend a few months working on it. This is the minecraftforum.net post he has for his mod. He explains how he did it, but it required a huge amount of ASM to be Forge compatible.

And using a

TESR

for this is simply put a stupid idea. It is VERY expensive and honestly, I don't think the FPS drop is worth it.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

A fake and cheap way to do it is by modifying the shadow/light color ramp making brighter lights different  color that dimmer lights.

Another way is using shader's glow effect but you can make multicolored glow based on some kind of block meta. That way you can simulate a light glow  fake multicolor but won't be 100% like the mod above but would be pretty neat .

There are already shaders to make monsters, lava, eyes of spiders etc glow. You can increase the glow and multicolor it based on code. But obvs will only work when shaders are on.

Disclaimer:  I been told to keep my opinions to myself, to shut up and that I am spreading lies and misinformation or even that my methods are unorthodox and or too irregular. Here are my suggestions take it or leave it.

I've always wondered if you could sort of fake it by using a "dynamic" entity model. Imagine you had an entity that doesn't move that is created to coexist at the light source block position. Then in the model for the entity you scan the surrounding area and create model cubes for each block in the vicinity and simply put a texture on them that is transparent with light tint of the color you want.

So basically the entity would be creating a colored filter over the surrounding area. You would probably need to make each block in the dynamic model to be a tiny bit bigger than the blocks to ensure it rendered on top of them. If the updating of the model caused a performance issue you could simply only update it when a block changed.

Basically imagine draping a colored transparent blanket over the surrounding blocks. Just a thought -- seems like an approach that could work, would be easy for most of us to program, and not too performance heavy.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

I found the original thread about the other attempt which worked out for him: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=13154.0

You might get some inspiration from it. But, as he says, it is "pretty much is incompatible with everything right now".

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/