Custom Blocks and Their Appearances [SOLVED]

Jimmeh

Alrighty, so I have a very generic custom block, BlockWeaponRack. All I really have at this point is a custom texture, so my custom block should have the model of a normal cube. There's really 2 questions I have here.

1) How do I make it take on the shape of a full cube? In my JSON file for the model, I have the parent as "block/cube_all", so shouldn't it take on a full 3D appearance? I've tried overriding isFullCube() and returning true, yet it still looks like this: https://gyazo.com/60d9f15f0d47a9b2dde5e24cb7eef111

2) How do I make it look like a 3D cube in the inventory? In the blockstates JSON file, I have it specified to do just that, but it's not happening. Here's my BlockWeaponRack.json blockstates file:

{
    "forge_marker": 1,
    "defaults": {
        "textures": {
            "all": "test:blocks/BlockWeaponRack"
        }
    },
    "variants": {
        "normal": {
            "model": "test:BlockWeaponRack"
        },
        "inventory": {
            "model": "cube_all"
        }
    }
}

And thinking more into this, the hitbox is still the normal cube shape, but the texture just did 1 3D strip in the center, as you saw above. So maybe there's some method in the BlockWeaponRack class that I need to override and tell it to texture all 6 faces... I don't know .-.

Thanks! :D

You need to provide us more information to help you.

I see you made your own model for BlockWeaponRack.

Show us that json model file.

isFullCube() has nothing to do with the appearance of your block.

Your weaponrack looks like that because you defined that in your model file.

The way the item looks in the inventory is defined by your blocks item json. And everything winnetrie said.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

You need to provide us more information to help you.

I see you made your own model for BlockWeaponRack.

Show us that json model file.

isFullCube() has nothing to do with the appearance of your block.

Your weaponrack looks like that because you defined that in your model file.

The way the item looks in the inventory is defined by your blocks item json. And everything winnetrie said.

Okay, that all makes sense. I'll just provide all the json files.

Here's the blockstate one:

{
    "forge_marker": 1,
    "defaults": {
        }
    },
        "normal": {
            "model": "test:BlockWeaponRack"
        },
        "inventory": {
            "model": "cube_all"
        }
    }
}

Here's the models/block one:

{
    "parent": "block/cube_all",
    }
}

And here's the models/item one:

{
  "parent": "builtin/generated",
    "layer0": "test:blocks/BlockWeaponRack"
  }
}

i recommend not using the forge blockstate if you don't understand it.

as far as i know  vanilla minecraft cube_all and item_generated already have their own inventory model looks defined . you don't need to define them in your blockstate .

your blockstate should simply be  (actual example)

{

"normal": { "model": "technorcery:blockBrass" }

}

}

if you wish to use custom 2d item for your block then make your item extend item_generated and put a regular item in there

if you want your block to use it's own item (like regular blocks rotated 45 degrees ) then you simply make parent : my block in your item model

Disclaimer:  I been told to keep my opinions to myself, to shut up and that I am spreading lies and misinformation or even that my methods are unorthodox and or too irregular. Here are my suggestions take it or leave it.

[*]Your item should have the parent of your block json.

[*]Don't use capitals in file names.

[*]Your inventory variant should point to the same as your normal variant, thus the missing texture (block/cube_all doesn't have a texture set it is an abstraction.)

[*]Other than that I do not know why your block is a 1 "pixel" think plane

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

[*]Your inventory variant should point to the same as your normal variant, thus the missing texture (block/cube_all doesn't have a texture set it is an abstraction.)

NOPE. 1 is wrong. you should not do anything. is your mod do anything you want but do it properly. if you wanna use a 2d item you can use any 2d image with generated . Vanilla cauldron does this. It doesn't use the cauldron block as item but instead it uses a 2d image .

2. also wrong. you can use capitals . is just filenames are case sensitive. myBlock not same as Myblock

4. you're also wrong. his block is a regular MC cube with all faces set to a texture . is not 1 pixel plane. his blockstate is off.

Disclaimer:  I been told to keep my opinions to myself, to shut up and that I am spreading lies and misinformation or even that my methods are unorthodox and or too irregular. Here are my suggestions take it or leave it.

also note that java will spit out what's wrong in erros (at least Eclipse does this). Did you read the error? Does it throw any errors? Read closely it will tell you what the problem is.

Sometimes it says something like

/test/test/Block.json is not found showing that you use your modid twice

sometimes may say

/test/bLoCk.json is not found meaning you spelled it wrong

Read the error. ALL 3 of them. yeah it throws 3 different errors (at least in Eclipse it does) and each error has some info the other ones don't.

NOPE. 1 is wrong. it does not NEED to have the parent. if you wanna use a 2d item you can use any 2d image with generated . Vanilla cauldron does this. It doesn't use the cauldron block as item but instead it uses a 2d image .

2. also wrong. you can use capitals . is just filenames are case sensitive. myBlock not same as Myblock

4. you're also wrong. his block is a regular MC cube with all faces set to a texture . is not 1 pixel plane. his blockstate is off.

1 is correct as he asked for a full block Item.

2 is correct because it will be enforced by Mojang soon (better now when it is in dev, than to be later when there are 50+).

4 Did you look at the original post? That link is an image that shows his block being a one "pixel" thick "plane".

I actually followed this here and it worked, specifically steps 1 and 3. I'll go rename my files now if that's what Mojang will be using. I want to follow best practice. Thank you!

NOPE. 1 is wrong. it does not NEED to have the parent. if you wanna use a 2d item you can use any 2d image with generated . Vanilla cauldron does this. It doesn't use the cauldron block as item but instead it uses a 2d image .

2 is correct because it will be enforced by Mojang soon (better now when it is in dev, than to be later when there are 50+).

4 Did you look at the original post? That link is an image that shows his block being a one "pixel" thick "plane".

1 WRONG you can do it anyway you want

2. WRONG while in the future they may do it in another way at this point in time you can use anything

4. did not look at the original post but based on his json model he aims to get a full cube block. so i don't go by what he achieved but what he wants to achieve that's why im here to help him achieve that

1 WRONG you can do it anyway you want

2. WRONG while in the future they may do it in another way at this point in time you can use anything

4. did not look at the original post but based on his json model he aims to get a full cube block. so i don't go by what he achieved but what he wants to achieve that's why im here to help him achieve that

1 of course he can but i was telling him because he asked for that specifically.

This is terrible, terrible advice.

4 when i say 1 pixel plane i mean it is a rect that has the dim of 1 block, by 1 block by 1/16 of a block.