[1.11] Chunk Values Returning Null

Lambda

Hey there!

So I was able to create (with some help) a 'energy' based system, each chunk has a value assigned.. However, trying to access this on the client side it seems that the chunks values are returning null, with a server check, they return the value.. So I'm guessing I need a packet, however I don't really know how to store the information and send it to the server side.. Here is the code I'm trying to display:

(Within the RenderGameOverlayEvent.Post)

if (player.getHeldItemMainhand().getItem() == InitItems.itemJAWrench || player.getHeldItemMainhand().getItem() == Items.CLOCK || player.getHeldItemOffhand().getItem() == InitItems.itemJAWrench || player.getHeldItemOffhand().getItem() == Items.CLOCK) {
                    World world = player.world;
                    final Chunk chunk = world.getChunkFromBlockCoords(new BlockPos(player.getPosition()));
                    final ChunkPos chunkPos = chunk.getPos();
                    IVoidEnergy voidStorage = CapabilityVoidEnergy.getVoidEnergyFromChunk(world, chunkPos);
                    if(voidStorage != null) {
                        int percentValue = (voidStorage.getEnergyStored() / voidStorage.getMaxEnergyStored()) * 100;
                        minecraft.fontRendererObj.drawStringWithShadow("Void Flux: " + percentValue + "%", event.getResolution().getScaledWidth()/2+5, event.getResolution().getScaledHeight()/2+15, StringUtil.DECIMAL_COLOR_WHITE);
                    }else{
                        minecraft.fontRendererObj.drawStringWithShadow("No Void Flux In This Chunk!", event.getResolution().getScaledWidth()/2+5, event.getResolution().getScaledHeight()/2+15, StringUtil.DECIMAL_COLOR_WHITE);
                    }
                }

Everything seems to work, however when I hold the correct Item, the 'no void flux in this chunk' seems to display, meaning that the chunk value is null..

So this left me to believe that I need to send a packet, however I'm having trouble on what values to send... the ChuckPos? the value? the chunk itself.. etc etc...

So I have this so far, however I came here to see if anybody can help me finish the rest:

public static final IDataHandler VOID_NETWORK_HANDLER = new IDataHandler() {
        @Override
        @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
        public void handleData(NBTTagCompound compound, MessageContext context) {
            World world = Minecraft.getMinecraft().world;
            EntityPlayer player = Minecraft.getMinecraft().player;

if(world != null) {
                //Some how access the value > write it to the compound > (rest I know how to do)
            }
        }
    };

The rest of the code can be accessed though my github below..

here are some references so you can find the classes easily;

event>ClientSideEvents - The overlay event

network>PacketHandler - Where I'm handling all of my packets

voidenergy - where all the capability stuff is

api > capability - where all of the interfacing is.

Relatively new to modding.

Currently developing:

https://github.com/LambdaXV/DynamicGenerators

ChunkDataEvent.Load

is only fired on the server side, so you need to subscribe to

ChunkEvent.Load

to create a default

IVoidEnergy

for any chunk that doesn't have one (i.e. client-side chunks).

To render the current energy value of a chunk on screen, you'll need to sync it from the server to the client using a packet. Do this when a player starts watching a chunk (

ChunkWatchEvent.Watch

) and when the energy value changes. Use

WorldServer#getPlayerChunkMap

PlayerChunkMap#getEntry

and

PlayerChunkMapEntry#sendPacket

to send a packet to all players watching a chunk and

SimpleNetworkWrapper#getPacketFrom

to get a

Packet

from an

IMessage

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Okay I believe I was able to get this work.. I ended up opting for a GUI instead of just referencing the fontRendererObj, however trying to divide the energyStored / capacity seems to always get me 0%... So I system.out both the ints, and they seem to be storing correctly, when I try to divide them.. I get 0. Maybe I'm just bad at math? I'm almost 100% sure its not due to my math skill :).

However, when I'm in a chunk that has been uneffected, it seems to return 100%, like expected. Anything less than the capacity.. returns 0;

final String textToPrint = StringUtil.localizeFormatted("hud." + ModUtil.MOD_ID + ".voidenergy", ((voidEnergy.getEnergyStored() / voidEnergy.getMaxEnergyStored()) * 100));
        drawString(minecraft.fontRendererObj, textToPrint + "%", 0,0, StringUtil.DECIMAL_COLOR_WHITE);

with my localization being:

hud.plentifulutilities.voidenergy=Void Flux: %d

Also, would anybody know how to make a GUI screen that allows a person to edit the GUI values?

Thanks!

Currently developing:

double percentedValue = (voidEnergy.getEnergyStored() / voidEnergy.getMaxEnergyStored()) * 100;

I also tried:

double percentedValue = (voidEnergy.getEnergyStored() / voidEnergy.getMaxEnergyStored());
        double finalValue = percentedValue * 100;

just in case multiplication was messing with it.

Currently developing:

You're dividing two integers, so Java is using integer division and then converting the result to a

double

. You need to cast one of the numbers to a

double

so Java converts the other one to a

double

and uses floating-point division.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.